CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1302715
Date first listed: 16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRONT STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302715 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2019 at 14:33:35.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FRONT STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish: Barnby in the Willows
National Grid Reference: SK 86033 52189
SK 8W SE BARNBY IN THE WILLOWS FRONT STREET (South Side)
4/13 Church of All Saints
Parish Church; C13. C15 and probably C17; restored C19. Coursed rubble, rendered in parts with ashlar tower and porches and some ashlar to the aisles. Lead roofs with segmental parapet at the east end. Tower, nave with north and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel. The church is buttressed and with the exception of the chancel and north aisle south of the porch, is set on a plinth. The diagonally buttressed C15 single stage tower has a string course over the plinth and a single arched 2 light window with tracery to the west with four 2-light arched openings to the bell chamber. There is a single small rectangular window to the west side with 2 to the south. The tower is embattled with 4 crocketed pinnacles and guttering running under. The west side of the north aisle has a lancet window. The Cl5 gabled and coped north porch has 3 crocketed pinnacles and 3 gargoyles with single gargoyles to the east and west walls. The central doorway has a moulded arch over which there is a hoodmould and label stops, and is flanked by single niches each with an ogee arch. The aisle window to the west of the porch is arched with 2 lights, tracery and hoodmould. To the east is a 2 light, square headed, traceried window with hood mould and label stops. The clerestorey has 3 square headed windows. The chancel, with probably C17 fenestration, has a tall 2 light arched transom and mullion window with tracery and stops at either end of the transom. Either side of the north doorway are 2 engaged columns with capitals, the inner having damaged fleuron decoration, supporting imposts with moulded arch, hood mould and label stops. East of the door is a lozenge shaped window containing a quatrefoil with tracery and to its east a 2 light arched and traceried window with quatrefoil. A string course runs around the chancel, under the windows, but on a level with the transom of the transom and mullioned window. The east end, with 3 tie plates, has a triple lancet window. The centre narrower, taller lancet, with arched transom has at its foot, on either side, a segment of a circle. The flanking lancets each have single lights with tracery. The south wall of the chancel corresponds to the north. The door however has neither hood mould nor label stops and the eastern most window does not have a quatrefoil, but 4 small circles contained in a larger circle. The arched and traceried east facing window of the south aisle is probably C17 and has 2 lights with cusping. The aisle windows to the east and west of the gabled, projecting porch are both traceried with 2 lights, square heads and hood moulds, that to the west has label stops. The central doorway of the porch is arched with imposts, hood mould and label stops and is flanked by single lancets. The clerestorey corresponds to the north. The west wall of the south aisle has a single lancet. The south aisle has been encased in C19 ashlar. The north interior porch door has an elaborate blind tracerid C15 door with imposts supporting a chamfered arch and hood mould with label stops over. Interior. The aisles are separated from the nave by 3 bays of C13 alternating 2 circular and one octagonal pier with plain moulded capitals, chamfered arches, hood moulds and label stops to nave side only. There is a C13 tower arch. Chancel and nave are separated by a chamfered arch with octagonal piers and pin capitals, the chancel side has label stops. In the chancel is a corresponding string course to the exterior. The choir stalls have blind tracery and poppyheads. There is a C17 balustraded altar rail, with C17 panel surround to the altar and fanciful carving to the reredos. Around the sides of the aisles are ciB box pews. The C15 central pews have varied blind tracery and varied and elaborate poppyheads, a few being C19 cast iron restorations. There is a C13 octagonal stone font with shields in quatrefoil panels. Behind the altar rails are 4 C18 floor stones. On the south chancel wall is a good decorated monument to Mary Sharpe, with bust over, c.1742. The north west wall has a slate wall tablet with head carved in relief to George and Thomas Sharpe, c.1686, with a similar tablet to Thomas and Winefrid Sharpe, c.1704, on the south west wall.
Listing NGR: SK8603052189
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 242648
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing