THE DOWN HOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE DOWN HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302873 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 21:25:28.
- Statutory Address:
- THE DOWN HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest of Dean (District Authority)
- Redmarley D'abitot
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 76982 30494
REDMARLEY D'ABITOT -
SO 73 SE
6/139 The Down House 2.10.54
Country house. 1823 by Thomas Rickman for G. Dowdeswell, altered 1875 by F. S. Waller for Col. S. G. Scobell; altered c1960. Render lined as ashlar, slate roof. Five by 3 bays, 2 1/2 storeys. Entrance front 3 bay: central prostyle tetrastyle fluted Doric porch, up 3 stone steps, Doric frieze, flat roof. Plain pilasters to rear: double doors, 3 panels each, dummy fielding, up one stone step; 4-pane rectangular fanlight over: narrow 8-pane sashes each side. Plinth to left and right, gratings for cellar openings in front, stone mounting block on right: one sash each side. Plain string course at window sill level first floor: sash each side, slightly projecting centre with sashed Venetian window. Moulded cornice, plain parapet, plain chimneys on ridge behind either side centres. Hipped roof and chimney on left end. Right return plain plinth, 2 sashes each side centre, prostyle tetrastyle unfluted Doric porch with frieze and pediment: up 3 stone steps, plain pilasters to rear; three-quarter glazed double doors, panelled below, rectangular fanlight over: narrow 4 pane sashes each side. String course as front, 2 sashes each side, slightly recessed centre with sashed tripartite window: cornices and parapet as front. Interior: dado rails guilloche moulded. Entrance hall marble fireplace with tapered sides: moulded plaster cornice. Arches to central hall, cantilevered stone stairs up left wall, fluted Doric columns support centre landing: cantilevered balcony on 2 sides above: brass balusters, moulded handrail, wreath at bottom. Large rooflight over, panelled ceiling with moulded cornice. Plaster cornice front room on right. Rear on right: dado, moulded plaster cornice, frieze over door. Plain Ionic screen, fluted frieze, with palmettes separates end of room: fluted Ionic columns to fireplace surround, palmettes and plaque with child lighting fire over. Panelled shutters. Centre room opposite entrance moulded plaster cornice, marble fireplace with caryatids. To left end of room cut off by fluted Ionic screen, plain Doric pilasters against walls; dentil cornice, panelled shutters. Some moulded plaster cornices first floor: 4 panel doors. Second floor rooms separated from exterior by continuous void, open onto lightwell with Yorkshire sliding sashes. Greek revival house, entrance on present right return, altered to present entrance by F. S. Waller; stairs altered, and parts of interior; of main rooms only rear left and centre unaltered. In 1958-'60 three-storey servants' wing on left demolished: new back stair formed. (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7698230494
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.