CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, ADJOINING SHERBORNE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303082

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, ADJOINING SHERBORNE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, ADJOINING SHERBORNE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 16:47:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, ADJOINING SHERBORNE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: SP1688514727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE SP 1614 9/192 Church of St. Mary Magdalene, adjoining Sherborne House 26.1.61 GV II*

Anglican parish church. Late C13-early C14 and mid C19. Nave rebuilt possibly by Anthony Salvin (q.v. Sherborne House) for the 2nd Lord Sherborne and was completed by 1859. Ashlar, slate roof. Plan; nave and chancel, tower at the south-west corner of the nave. Vestry on south side of nave. Late C13-early C14. Three- stage tower with moulded plinth and ribbed octagonal broach spire with 4 lucarnes at base and towards apex. Facetted stair turret at south-west corner. C19, double plank door with fillets within pointed surround with stopped hood. Two small engaged columns either side. Two-light window within a pointed surround with a quatrefoil at top above. Tall 2-light belfry window with quatrefoil and wooden louvres to third stage. Gable end of nave left with flat-chamfered plinth. Deep band with blind quatrefoil decoration and plain shields above plinth. Pointed 3-light window with Decorated style tracery and hood with foliate stops. Large blind quatrefoil within moulded circular surround towards apex of gable. Set back buttresses with crocketed pinnacles at corners. North wall; five 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights, cinquefoils and hoods with foliate stops. Buttresses between windows. C19 double door with fillets within moulded 'Tudor'- arched surround with square hood and foliate stops towards right end. Four-light window with Decorated style tracery. Diagonal buttresses with crocketed pinnacles at corners. Flat-roofed vestry and short corridor with pointed archways on one side, on south side of nave. Church interior; two bays at west end form entrance. Pointed arch with engaged C13 style columns at end of 8½ bay nave. Single bay chancel with pointed arch with C13 style engaged columns and moulded hood with foliate stops as at west end. C19 arch-braced roof trusses with collars and V-struts, rising from corbels with highly ornate foliate carving. Panelled roof to chancel and entrance area at west end. Flag stone and parquet floor. Ornately carved C19 octagonal font. C19 octagonal wood pulpit. C19 rood screen in same style as pulpit. C19 choir stalls with foliate carving. C20 communion rail with finely carved festoons of flowers. Freestanding chairs in nave. Monuments; fine white and grey marble monument by M. Rysbrack, dated 1749, to Sir John Dutton, baronet died 1742, with full figure of man leaning on an urn. Monument on wall opposite by Richard Westmacott the Elder and dated 1791, to James and Jane Dutton, died 1776, in which a life-sized angel leans on a medallion with profiles of the deceased, underfoot a prostrate skeleton (representing death). Trefoil-headed niche containing full figure of a woman holding a cross commemorating James, first Lord Sherborne, died 1820, left of chancel arch. White and grey marble, monument to Frances Mary, Princess Bariatinsky, died 1807. Figures of two women and a child above. Urn in background. Monuments on north wall of nave; fine monument to John Dutton (q.v. Lodge Park), died 1657, by T. Burman, comprising a shrouded upright effigy in white marble within a round-headed niche flanked by black marble columns with Corinthian capitals and scrolled pediment with the Sherborne arms at the centre, above. Inscription plaques either side. Inscription to John Dutton below. Monument on left to Thomas Dutton, died 1587, William Dutton, died 1618, and Thomas Dutton, son of William, died 1610, comprising simple black marble plaque within white marble surround. Monument on left Emily Theresa Sherborne, wife of Edward, fourth Lord Sherborne (q.v. Lodge Park), and Edward Dutton, fourth Lord Sherborne, died 1919. Monument to left to the Honorable Charles Dutton, died 1909. Further monuments to members of the Dutton family on the south wall of the nave, notably a white and black marble monument to William Napier, third son of James Dutton, died 1791, signed by J. Bacon, with urn and bird plucking its feathers. C18 ledger in sanctuary, three C18 ledgers at west end of church. C19 stained glass in windows at east and west ends. Gilded hanging electric light fittings of foliate design. Church most notable for its finely executed monuments. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851; V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VI p 120)

Listing NGR: SP1688514727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130630

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1965), 120
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing