THE PIGEON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303106

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Statutory Address: THE PIGEON HOUSE, SOUTHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PIGEON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303106 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:02:53.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PIGEON HOUSE, SOUTHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Southam

National Grid Reference: SO 97019 25567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 92 NE SOUTHAM SOUTHAM LANE (north side)

8/170 The Pigeon House

4.7.60

GV II

Former manor house possibly medieval, extended C16 and C18, altered c1924 by T.E. Whitaker. Close-studded timber framing with herringbone limestone block infill; random squared and dressed limestone; stone slate roof with ashlar stack and C20 artificial stone stack. Complex plan with an 'L'-shaped medieval range probably original originally comprising a hall with a 2-storey solar wing at its south end with further extension to the east; rectangular C16 partly timber-framed range to the west of the solar. Two-storeys and 2-storeys and attic. South-facing elevation of timber-framed range with C20 central 16 storey porch with a plank door with decorative studding within a 4-centred arched surround with moulded hood with heraldic stops and inscriptions 'A.D./ABOUT/1066' and 'Restored/1924/T.E.W', and enriched spandrels; brattished decoration at top of portal; small single-light window to the left; 3-light stone-mullioned casement above; image niche with canopy towards the apex of the gable. The return walls of the porch are linked to the main body via stone- mullioned bow windows; similar bow window to rear with an early 7- light flat-chamfered wood-mullioned window with transom to the left. All stone-mullioned windows to the main body with leaded panes and enriched spandrels. C20 three-light, 5-light and 7-light C20 oriel windows-some with transoms and decorative leaded panes to the north, south and west sides of the timber framed first floor. Single 3-light C20 canted eaves dormer with decorative barge board upper right. Earlier range set back to the right with a single- light and 2-light stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor. Four-light stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched headed lights to the first floor. C20 part-glazed door under an open-fronted lean-to to the left. C19 stone-mullioned casements some with cusped heads to the other elevation. Small turret with battlemented parapet with an early possibly reused pointed-arched entrance, in the angle between the main body and the later extension. Interior: flagged entrance hall with large open fireplace with bressumer and probably reused C17 panelling. Beams with triangular stops. Tudor-arched stone fireplace within dating from 1924 alterations within the adjoining room. Open-fireplace with bressumer beam within the adjoining range the eastern limb of which is entered via a possibly reused pointed-arched entrance and contains an early wooden spiral staircase with square-sectioned treads and a niche with reused C12 jamb shaft with chevron decoration and a piece of roll-moulded stonework. Roof to early range with curving principals with yoke at the apex; single purlins, wind bracing. Stained glass insets dating from early C20 alterations dated and initialled Reg Constance, Glazier 1924. (V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VIII, p10)

Listing NGR: SO9708625562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 135265

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1968), 10

End of official listing