CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303115

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, SOUTHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, SOUTHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Southam

National Grid Reference: SO 96981 25557

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 92 NE SOUTHAM SOUTHAM LANE (north side)

8/172 Church of the Ascension (formerly listed as Southam Church)

GV II*

Anglican chapel. C12, restored mid-late C19 in neo-Norman style by Edward Earl of Ellenborough 1861 in memory of his first wife Octavia, died 1819. The early church appears to have been of rubble construction with large squared and dressed quoins, Cl9 rebuilding on coursed squared and dressed limestone. Nave and chancel with vestry/organ chamber at right angles to the south wall of the nave. C19 buttress to the chancel. Chancel north wall: with early studded plank door within a C12 opening with megalithic jambs, imposts and single stone lintel. Single-light window cut from a single stone to the right, now blocked. One single-light and two 3-light neo-Norman windows with jamb shafts and stylized scalloped capitals; Lombard frieze below the eaves. West gable end with 3 neo-Norman windows with jamb shafts with billeted and chevroned arches. Single similar window towards the apex of the gable. Nave south wall: 3-light, single-light and neo-Norman windows; Lombard frieze and C19 two-light roof dormer with engaged wooden jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and buttressing to the chancel. Chancel north wall with small C12 slit window with lintel with four small square recessed panels arranged in the form of a square. Single-light neo-Norman east window with hood. Two-light Perpendicular window to the south wall, reputed to come from Hailes Abbey. C19 vestry with neo-Norman single-light window with engaged jamb shafts to the gable end. C19 plank door with decorative hinges within a neo-Norman doorway matching the north doorway. Stepped gable-end coping-with upright cross finials to chancel, vestry and nave. Bellcote with single bell hanging to the gable end of the nave. Plastered church interior with 3-bay nave with braced principal rafters resting on corbels. Single-bay chancel. Flagged floor. C12 round-headed chancel arch, probably rebuilt with megalithic jambs and simple chamfered imposts; similar arch to vestry. C17 oak panelled dado to nave and chancel. C19 free-standing pews. Rectangular neo-Norman pulpit with blind arcading and chevroned ornament. Octagonal white marble font with ornate lotus flower decoration in relief (matching central feature within the monument to Lord Ellenborough's aides at The De la Bere Hotel q.v.). Renaissance choir stalls with mannerist 'terms', carved lions' heads and carved misericords; linenfold panelling incorporating the unicorn crest above. C19 lectern with cusped decoration. Neo- Norman stone communion rail in the form of interlocking arcading. Neo-Norman stone altar table with 3 arches and chevroned decoration. Limestone reredos with free-standing narrow stone columns. Two C19 chairs with carved oak panels either side. Ornate bronze hanging bowl within the chancel. Monuments: two neo-Norman niches one containing a bust of Countess Octavia, first wife of Lord Ellenborough, the other a bust of Lord Ellenborough in the south wall of the chancel. Shield and sword probably of Indian origin hang from the right-hand jamb of the chancel arch; brass plaque to Sir Charles Napier below. Six other Cl9 brass plaques commemorating Lord Ellenborough's relatives and associates on the south side of the nave. Chancel south wall: brass tablet recording the restoration of the chapel by Lord Ellenborough in 1861; memorial plaque to Octavia Lady Ellenborough, died 1819 and brass plaque to Lord Ellenborough died 1871 erected 'by his tenentry' to the right. Two brattished corbels in the corners at the west end, one with a small equestrian bronze memorial to the Duke of Wellington; bust of man on the other corbel. Brightly coloured heraldic and decorative glass memorials to Lord Ellenborough's friends and relations, e.g. one window commemorates 'the brave who fell at Sinde and in Givalio, 1843'. Two Flemish paintings over chancel arch. (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9701925579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 135267

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)

End of official listing