GATEWAY AND TWO FLANKING GUARDROOMS TO FORMER BEAUMONT CAVALRY BARRACKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303279

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-1999

Statutory Address: GATEWAY AND TWO FLANKING GUARDROOMS TO FORMER BEAUMONT CAVALRY BARRACKS, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEWAY AND TWO FLANKING GUARDROOMS TO FORMER BEAUMONT CAVALRY BARRACKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:07:04.

Location

Statutory Address: GATEWAY AND TWO FLANKING GUARDROOMS TO FORMER BEAUMONT CAVALRY BARRACKS, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Rushmoor (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 85258 50726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDERSHOT SU 85 SE FARNBOROUGH ROAD (South East side) 991-0/2/21 Gateway and 2 flanking Guardrooms to former Beaumont Cavalry Barracks 19.12.80 II

Pair of guardrooms and gateway to cavalry barracks; disused. 1856. Yellow stock brick with Portland stone and rubbed brick dressings, and slate roof Single-depth plan guardrooms on opposite sides of paved area, connected by entrance gate. EXTERIOR: single-storey 5-bay guardrooms with 2-window street gables. 2 pairs of square piers with plinths and stone caps with shallow brackets, square lamps on cast-iron moulded shafts to inner piers, with mid C20 metal gates, and outer flat-headed wickets within segmental-arches containing stone panels, that to the left with VP, in raised letters surrounded by oak leaves over SOUTH CAVALRY BARRACKS, and similar panel to the right inscribed ERECTED 1856. Short walls connect piers with the guardrooms, which have outer pilasters as the piers to coped gables, over rusticated segmental arched sunken panels containing 2 small segmental-arched 4/4-pane sashes. Opposite gables have brick dentil cornice, 3 sunken panels and a lunette. Inner sides of Guardrooms have three 6/6-pane sashes, and panelled doors either side of the inner window, with a cast-iron verandah of 6 elliptical arches on thin octagonal posts with open spandrels. Rear of paved area closed by late C20 walls and railings. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: with the Beaumont Riding School (qv), the last surviving part of the Beaumont or South Cavalry Barracks. This was a wholly new concept in barracks planning, one of three original permanent cavalry barracks built at the Wellington Lines in Aldershot. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).



Listing NGR: SU8494650853

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 137845

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Childerhouse, T , Military Aldershot the first fifty years, (1990)

End of official listing