CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1303384

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, READING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:45:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, READING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wokingham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wokingham

National Grid Reference: SU 80524 68983

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOKINGHAM READING ROAD SU 8068 NE (South west side) 17/39 Church of St. Paul 12.11.51 G.V. II* Parish church. 1862-4 by Henry Woodyer in the Decorated style; aisles added 1874. Squared rubble with Bath stone dressings. Tiled roofs, separately over nave and chancel; lead roofs over aisles and vestry. Nave with clerestoreys, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry; north chapel and organ chamber, south chapel, a north west porch and tower with spire. Plinth, moulded strings and eaves course; decorated parapets of circular motifs to tower, and blind arcading to aisles. Coped gables. Windows: 3-lights, 4 on the north and 6 on the south aisles; all with 2 stage buttresses between. 3-light with reticulated tracery on the east end of nave and a 4-light on the west end with. intersecting tracery. Six, 5-light clerestorey windows on each side, Tower:- 4 stages, moulded strings to each, angled buttresses of 4 stages; pinnacles with crockets; broached spire with weathervane on top. C13 style plate traceried windows. Interior:-5 bay nave. Moulded arched and scissor braced roof, with tracery between spandrels; intermediate smaller arch braced collars between ; butt purlins. North and south arcades with quatrefoil columns and thin shafts in the diagonals; leaf capitals. The clerestoreys have a series of rere- arches on detached shafts. The chancel is 3 bays; with moulded arch braced collars, moulded and decorated butt purlins, and double arched windbraces. On the south wall of the chancel are 4 low quatrefoil clerestorey windows, below these on the right is a 2 bay arcade separating the south chapel: a door to the vestry on the left of this with a pointed arch decorated with gilded foliage. An elaborately carved stone reredos, depicting the last supper and the crucifixion. The chancel has a fine fresco and a carved oak screen below. The font has 8 lobes, the bowl is in the art nouveau style, decorated with water-lilies and inter-twined stalk; and has an elaborate carved wooden cover. Stained glass by Hardman. The church was given to the town by John Walter of Bear Wood. V.C.H. Vol.lll p.226. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.308.

Listing NGR: SU8052468983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 41713

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 226
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 308

End of official listing