ARLINGTON MILL (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL) ARLINGTON MILL COTTAGES (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1303546

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MILL (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL), A433

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MILL COTTAGES (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL), 1, A433

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARLINGTON MILL (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL)
ARLINGTON MILL COTTAGES (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 15:50:17.

Location

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MILL (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL), A433

Statutory Address: ARLINGTON MILL COTTAGES (INCLUDING COTTAGES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS ABUTTING ARLINGTON MILL), 1, A433

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Bibury

National Grid Reference: SP1136806848

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIBURY A433, Arlington SP 1006-1106 (north side) 11/24 Arlington Mill and No 1, Arlington Mill Cottages (including cottages previously listed as abutting 23.1.52 Arlington Mill) II Formerly woollen and corn mills with 3 attached houses; now museum with one attached house. Late C17; additions of c1700, early and mid C19; major 1859 alterations to mill; restored 1966 by David Verey. Random rubble, coursed and ashlar limestone; ashlar and brick chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 3 and 4-storey mill block with 3 and 2-storey houses at south west end; 2-storey with attic mill cottage on south east side. South east (road) side: mill block to right with gable-mounted cut-down chimney to left. Scattered mostly C19 segmental arched casement fenestration. Two tall raking buttresses with coped tops and bold diagonal corner buttresses are part of mid C19 strengthening of structure. Segmental arched doorway with plank door and hipped roofed porch is approached up flight of stone steps. Projecting mill cottage attached below chimney gable to left has lean-to addition in angle on right side; scattered timber casement fenestration with timber lintels except for two upper floor 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds on south west side; C19 altered doorway below with 4-panel door; 2 eaves-mounted gabledf roof dormers. Three-storey mill house to left has ashlar elevation with 2-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration with hoodmoulds; no windows to upper floor. Further house to left has single-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration with doorway to right having 6-panel door; single eaves-mounted dormer. South west end: half-hipped lean-to to end house. East end: tall gable end to mill with diagonal and off-centre offset buttresses. Rear: scattered fenestration to mill as to front. Various eaves-mounted and mid-pitch ashlar chimneys. Interior: iron columns and girders are from 1859 rebuilding to take steam-powered corn-milling machinery, since removed. Present mill machinery is from North Cerney. Other parts of building now used for the display of Victorian and Arts and Crafts exhibits. Recorded as a cloth and corn mill in C17, continuing in dual use until mid C19 concentration upon corn milling. C19 buttresses and position in village contribute to picturesque nature of building. (A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp. 21-44; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SP1136806848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127270

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 21-44
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing