CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303825.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 02:27:54.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 89373 36084
SO 8936 TWYNING TWYNING VILLAGE
13/187 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Anglican parish church. C12, C15.Perpendicular extensively restored and the chancel rebuilt 1867-8 by John Middleton. Nave; limestone and sandstone rubble. Chancel and vestry, random limestone and sandstone. Tower; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Red tile roof. Nave with projecting north porch. Chancel with vestry at right angles on the north. West tower. Nave north wall; C12 pilaster buttresses in dressed limestone and sandstone. Two pilasters to the left of the projecting porch have alternating bands of limestone and green sandstone towards their bases. Pilaster buttress at the west end incorporates a sandstone column at the north west corner. One C12 round-headed window with lintel with diaper decoration to the left of the porch. Remains of 2 other similar windows (now blocked). One with diaper and rosette decoration, one with a single stone lintel with carved foliate decoration. A small rectangular memorial tablet lies below the former window, which together with several scattered stone fragments with diaper decoration and a small carved head suggests parts of this wall may be rebuilt. Five large C19 round-headed windows, one between each pilaster. C19 double doors with decorative hinges (now obscured by the C19 porch) with a C12 round- headed surround with a plain tympanum set within a round arch with a heavy roll moulding. Pilasters either side of door containing simple niches (probably not original). Engaged columns either side of each pilaster. Remains of a stoup within the left-hand pilaster. South wall is similar to the north wall. Traces of a blocked doorway towards the east end. C19 round-headed windows as in the north wall. C19 chancel and vestry with diagonal and side buttresses. C19 five-light east window with roll-moulded tracery. Perpendicular 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Three-light Perpendicular window with tracery on the west with a hood with head stops. Two-light belfry windows with wooden louvres and quatrefoils. Restored battlemented parapet with projecting gargoyles. Stair turret with external access at the south east corner. Early studded plank door set back within the north wall. Projecting north porch with double doors within a round-headed entrance flanked by two engaged columns. Flat and stepped gable end coping with upright cross finials (some now broken off). Ridge tiling with upright pierced decoration. Church interior; plastered. Eight-bay nave. Five-bay chancel. C13 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on C12 engaged columns with cushion capitals. Outer columns restored, inner columns built of alternative green sandstone and limestone blocks. Double- chamfered arch from nave to tower base. C19 crown post roof trusses to the nave with moulded tie beams and curving collar beams and a collar purlin. Moulded purlin with three tiers of windbraces: Wallplate with brattishing and pierced decoration. Four arch-braced roof trusses to the chancel. Stone corbels with foliate decoration. Brattished wallplate with pierced decoration above the arched bracing. Stone flag floor to the nave. Tile floor including some decorative encaustic tiling to the chancel. Furniture and fittings; C15 octagonal limestone pul- pit inside the north door. C19 limestone and marble pulpit with recessed carved scene. C19 pews. Monuments: south wall of the chancel monument to Clare Sybil, died 1575. Recumbent effigy of a Lady with an Infant, in alabaster with black marble pillars with Ionic capitals supporting a classical pediment. Rectangular brass inscription above the effigy. Four white on black marble monuments within the chancel. Tower base; large monument to William Hancock, died 1676 and his two sons, comprising three half-length effigies with a broken triangular pediment supported by barley-twist balusters. Pulvinated frieze with a scene painted with sailing ships below. Three oval inscription plaques below. Two C17-early C18 monuments and four C19 marble monuments and a C19 benefaction board on the wall opposite. The belfry contains a wooden bell-frame of c1450-75. C19 stained glass in the chancel east window. Two C19 windows in the nave north and south walls. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Vale and the Forest of Dean; 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8937336084
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing