BALSTON AND STEVENS MONUMENTS 1-2 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1303887
Date first listed:
27-Oct-1986
Statutory Address:
BALSTON AND STEVENS MONUMENTS 1-2 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BALSTON AND STEVENS MONUMENTS 1-2 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1303887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 09:55:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
BALSTON AND STEVENS MONUMENTS 1-2 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Winterborne St. Martin
National Grid Reference:
SY 64768 88998

Details

SY 68 NW WINTERBORNE ST MARTIN MAIN ROAD (north side) 4/121 Balston and Stevens Monuments 1 - 2 Metres South of GV Church of St Martin

II

Two table tombs, late C17 and early C18. Stone (1) with bulbous end blocks, plain stone sides and flat top block with moulded cornice. Inscription ... "Anne, the wife of Morgan Balston died 20 June 1695. (2) with bulbous end blocks, moulded cornice and hipped top block. Rosettes and memento mori on end blocks. Inscription "Here lyeth the body of Henry Stevens who departed this life the 15th day of March 1708 in the 88th year of his age. This tomb was built by his widow Mary Stevens 1710".

Listing NGR: SY6476988992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
106015
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08911/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Beauchamp. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].