Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1304111

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Sep-1987



Ordnance survey map of POST OFFICE AND TROTS COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 11:19:37.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Buckland

National Grid Reference: SP 07397 35673


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BUCKLAND LAVERTON VILLAGE SP 0635-0735 10/17 Post Office and Trots Cottage (formerly listed as Laverton Stores 4.7.60 and Post Office and Cottage adjoining Post Office) GV II Post Office and house; C17, early C19, altered late C20. Coursed, squared stone; right wing brought to courses; stone slate roof, slope right return artificial stone slate. 'U' plan, open to road, 3-window centre, one room deep, right wing extended at rear; 1 1/2 storeys. To road, plain gable on left to ground floor, late C20 window (formerly doorway), right return. To right 3-light mullioned window with hoodmould, boarded door, slight Tudor arch below deep stone lintel, hoodmould, single-light window, stone lintel. Two 2-light casements either side of stone mullion, slightly shorter hoodmould over: originally 4-light mullion with king mullion, altered by 1900. Hoodmould to window left return right wing; half-glazed door on front, concrete lintel, hoodmould, small-pane shop window to right with fascia. First floor, 2-light casement with small panes and timber lintel left wing, wall carried up to 2 stone dormers, each with 3-light mullioned window with hoodmould, parapet gable with cross-gablet apices. In gable right wing two 2-light mullioned windows with hoodmould. Chimney on ridge left, square base, diamond set stack above: plain chimney on ridge centre of main wing, plain chimney, moulded cap at rear of right wing. Exposed beam across shop internally, formerly head of partition: exposed old joists over front section trimmed before gable wall. In 1904 door to what is now shop boarded, with cambered arch, stone voussoirs. Forming group with Hill Farmhouse (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970; W.G. Davie & E.G. Dawber, Old Cottages & Farmhouses in the Cotswold District, 1904)

Listing NGR: SP0739735673


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134798

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Davie, W G, Dawber, E G, Old Cottages Farmhouses and other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District, (1905)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing