Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304226.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 14:30:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 96626 50400


BLANCHLAND BLANCHLAND VILLAGE NY 9650 24/14 Church of St. Mary 15.4.69 (formerly listed as Church of St Mary the Virgin)


Parish church, formerly part of church of Premonstratensian abbey founded 1165 by Walter de Bolbec. Chancel c,1200-1210, north transept and tower mid C13 except for belfry stage of tower, C14. Repaired and adapted as parish church 1752 by Lord Crewe trustees, transept aisle rebuilt 1854, east end rebuilt 1881. Squared stone with dressings; stone slate roof. L-plan, with tower at end of north transept. Early English style. Tower in 4 stages: chamfered plinth, set-backs and string courses; clasping buttresses, north-western with newel stair (lit by chamfered loops) rising to belfry, north-eastern with gabled heads below 2nd stage. Boarded doors on west and east; western has pointed arch of 2 moulded orders with trefoil-headed recess to north, beneath roof weathering of pre-1752 village chapel; eastern has double-chamfered arch beneath steeply-pitched roof tabling of contemporary chantry chapel. Lancet on north in triple-chamfered surround; similar window, its head widened, above west door. Belfry stage has openings of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil over, and plain parapet. To south of tower, 4-bay west wall with central buttress formed from stub of north wall of abbey nave. 2-light windows with Y-tracery, the southern C18 copies. 2-bay east aisle of transept has 2-light windows in C14 style and lancet to north (blocked pointed windows above aisle roof date from use of an upper floor as schoolroom, 1828-1851). Chancel has 2 lancets on north and south and a C19 triplet, with shafted jambs, on the east. Interior. Tall triple-chamfered tower arch; aisle arcade of pointed double- chamfered arches with broach stops and chamfered hood, corbels and round column; triple-chamfered transept arch on triple-shafted jambs, the broader central shaft with fillet. Shouldered doorway to tower stair. Chancel lancets, have lost jamb shafts; rear arches of east lancets form part of 5-bay wall arcade. Triple sedilia on south largely C19; further west quirked jambs of blocked sacristy door. Plain C12 or C13 font. 6 complete medieval grave slabs in transept floor, including 2 to abbots and 2, with appropriate emblems, to foresters. Small panels of C15 glass, 2 with figures of Premonstratensian canons, in chancel windows. C18 arched commandment, creed and pater boards: Old wall safe in transept aisle. Carved and panelled chancel ceiling of 1881; sanctuary panelling, and reredos of 1890, carved screen and seating 1913. 'The Premonstratensian Abbey of St. Mary, Blanchland, Northumberland', W.H. Knowles. Arch. J. LIX (1902) 328-41.

Listing NGR: NY9662550398


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Architects Journal' in Architects Journal, , Vol. 59, (1902), 328-41


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06148/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas S. Bolton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].