CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, OLD CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304420.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 13:05:53.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, OLD CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 69048 34281
TF 63 SE SNETTISHAM OLD CHURCH ROAD
4/47 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53.
Parish church. All late C14 Decorated, perhaps the best example of the style in Norfolk, possibly connected with the grant of the Manor by Edward III to John of Gaunt. Flint with stone dressings, lead roofs, stone spire. Originally cruciform, chancel demolished by Sir Wymond Carye before c.1600, north transept reduced 1597. Restored 1856 by Frederick Preedy, architect. Nave with west gallilee porch, clerestorey, north and south aisles, crossing tower with spire, south transept. Tripartite west front of nave gable and lean-to aisles, central tripartite porch, knapped flint with stone dressings, 3 buttressed Decorated piers with continuous chamfers supporting 3 stone ribbed vaults terminated against west wall of church with keel mouldings. Seat against wall, C19 west door. Slated chamber above with 2 lancets. Fine 6-light west window with complex pattern of Reticulation and flowing mouchettes. 2 flanking buttressed turrets with square faced set off buttresses at corners, expanded above as octagonal turrets, on south with internal staircase, on north with 4 corbelled squinch arches, both with battlemented collars at base of crowning conical turrets. 2 3-light aisle west windows, on south with 3 trefoils, on north with 4-leaf petal pattern with trefoil above. This pattern repeated alternately in the 4 3-light windows of the 5 bay north and south aisles, both buttressed, with north and south doors in second bay from west. Clerestorey of 10 bays alternately almost round headed arched 2-light windows and circular windows with 3 segmental hexafoils. Tracery on south side largely C19 recutting. Stone parapet to nave roof. South transept, 3 bays with 5- light south window with angle set-off buttresses and 2 C14 spout-heads, east side has one 2-light, one 3-light and one blocked window, west side one blocked window and 2 external memorial tablets. Chancel demolished, line visible and north east angle standing. Mid C19 window inserted in former east arch of crossing. North transept replaced by additional north transept bay with 2-light "Y" tracery window on east and 3-light intersected tracery window on south set in knapped and galletted flint wall, presumably re-used windows rather than marking an earlier beginning to the fabric; date stone and inscription "John Cremer and Thomas Banyard, church wardens weare ye townmen of Snettisham. Thys ille (aisle?) did repair Anno Do 1595". Fine central tower and spire, with earlier roof lines visible, deep sill set off above. Square faced buttresses at corners. Each face with tripartite partly blank partly open tracery divisions, on west face with 2 outer arches with trefoil heads, centre open with 2-light trefoil headed belfry window. On north, south and west sides blank tracery panels continued into lower stage as, 4 blank tracery panels with trefoils enclosing triangular heads. Set off buttresses inbetween. Set off buttresses at angles terminated above parapet with octagonal sections with spirelets and flying buttresses springing to spire with 2 ranks of gabled dormer windows, last rebuilt 1895, 175 feet in height. Interior: 5 bay north and south nave arcades with composite piers having 4 main shafts with 4 thin filleted shafts and 5 hollows, tall arches with stone seats at bases. Crossing arches with half piers, arches corresponding with those of nave. Aisles with tranverse half arches at east. 10 bay double framed nave roof partly rebuilt 1899 with arched braces and collars. C15 stone font with moulded capitals and abaci connecting with supports. C15 pulpit, largely late C19 restoration. Chancel furniture as 1939-1945 memorial, by Cecil Howard of South Walsham. Monuments: south aisle, woman of c.1560, a palimpsest of c.1500; north aisle John Cremer, churchwarden and family ob. 1610. North transept classical monument to Sir Wymond Carye obit 1612, recumbent alabaster effigy under cofferred arch with 2 columns, strapwork cartouche above, original iron railings to base. South transept with vaults and mausoleum of Styleman family of Snettisham Old Hall and Hunstanton Hall; monuments from 1680 to 1803, on 1807 signed Richard Cooke. Stained glass: west window by Willian Warrington 1846; south aisle west window by Michael O'Connor 1861; south aisle window by transept: Frederick Preedy (1858); north aisle window by transept perhaps Preedy (1861). See McAlpine, St. Mary Snettisham,(nd. np, c,1910), Harding, Snettisham,(1982). .
Listing NGR: TF6904834281
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Harding, R W, A Tour of Snettisham, (1982)
McAlpine, , St Mary Snettisham, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing