- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- PAUNTLEY COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304730.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2020 at 14:41:34.
- Statutory Address:
- PAUNTLEY COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest of Dean (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 74923 29099
SO 72 NW PAUNTLEY -
3/204 Pauntley Court (formerly listed as part of Pauntley Court 2.10.54 with Dovecote and Barn 60 yards south of Pauntley Court)
Country house: late C16 or C17, altered C17, early C19, late C20. Right wing close-studded timber-framing, rendered infill: left wing at least partly similar framing, rendered over. Cross wing partly timber-framed on outer face; partly brick, rough render: courtyard face rough render. Roof tiled, save to outer slope of right-wing, stone slates. Irregular U-plan, cross section 2 rooms deep: 2 storeys, right wing originally with attics. Open end of U approached from church: outer face right wing framed, no intermediate rail, sill low: Blocked 3-light mullion and transom window left; 2 late C20 three-light French doors to right: end section rendered, sash window. First floor 2 late C20 casement windows: blocked window to right, 2-light C18 casement at end. Above 3 gables, roof returned beyond ends: left gables blocked 3- light casement windows, with curved V-struts over: right plain render. Set back on right to rendered wall: on left half-glazed door, flush panels below, moulded surround, under wide, flat porch on timber posts: 4-pane wide sash to right. First floor 2 sash windows: above hipped end to roof on right, lower, wider hip on left, extending partly behind right wing: chimney set back in valley. Right return: on left 3-panel high timber-framing to ground floor, blocked window: base to chimney projecting. To right close-studded timber framing with 4-pane wide sash window. Right half wall rough-render on brickwork: 4-pane wide sash, late C20 French door replacing original, up 4 stone steps, 2 sashes to right, with head to cellar window in plinth at right end. First floor: twin sash window on left, replacing original narrower, taller window. Line of chimney, since removed, cuts through framing to right. To right framing varied, single-pane window and 2 sashes. Four sash windows in rendered brick wall. Roof hipped each end, right-half higher ridge than left. Interior: large room in left end of cross wing (i.e. with 3 sash windows and French door on right return), panelled shutters, reeded surrounds to doors and windows with corner paterae: plaster cornice with swags and acanthus leaves. Room behind half-glazed door under porch, stone-paved floor, limestone set in diamond pattern with black inserts: modillion plaster cornice. Originally a courtyard house, wing closing yard on church side since removed: this may have been rebuilt as the present stable block (q.v.). Rudder noted that the house was neglected by 1779. Belonged to Whittington family in Middle Ages: Richard Whittington, Lord Mayor of London in late C14 and early C15 born in earlier building on site. Forms group with church, dovecote, stables and mill (q.v.). Interior of roof to cross and gabled wings not inspected. (D. Verey: Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779.)
Listing NGR: SO7491629090
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Rudder, S, A New History of Gloucestershire, (1779)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing