Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304784.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:36:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Broadland (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
TG 42729 05467


FREETHORPE CHURCH ROAD TG 40 NW (Wickhampton) 4/29 Church of St. Andrew. 25-9-62 G.V. I Parish Church, medieval and later. Restored by R.M. Phipson in 1883. Flint with plain tile roof. West tower, south porch, nave and chancel. Tower c.1436. 3 stages with diagonal buttresses. Flushwork panels on base course, buttress faces and parapet. West door with spandrel panels, corbel heads and attached shafts. 3-light Perpendicular west window with tracery. 2-light window above with Curvilinear tracery. Rectangular sound holes to north and south. 2-light belfry openings with Curvilinear tracery. Stepped battlemented parapet with seated figures as pinnacles. C19 porch with diagonal buttresses. South doorway with niche above. 2-light east and west windows and parapet gables. Inside, C14 doorway with heads as hood mould stops. 3 bay nave with off-set buttresses, and C19 2-light windows with 'Y' tracery to north and Curvilinear tracery to south. Parapet gable with cross finial. 2 bay Norman chancel with C19 off- set buttresses. C.1722 light stone ovolo moulded window, C13 blocked priest's door, C13 lancet and C14 'Y' traceried window to south. C13 lancet to north. 3-light Perpendicular window, flanked by C13 blocked lancet windows to east. Eaves and roof raised. Brick and stone parapet gable. Interior mainly C19. Perpendicular tower arch, resting on grotesque, corbel heads. C14 piscina in south aisle wall with cusped ogee arch. Early C14 chancel arch on corbel heads. Double recessed tomb of the late C13. 2 gabled recesses, flanked by gabled pinnacled buttress shafts containing the effigies of Sir William Gerbygge and his Lady. The Knight in chain mail and surcoat holds his heart between his hands. The Lady wears a wimple. Heraldry on tomb base. Above, arches, cusped and sub-cusped with Geometric tracery in the spandrels. Colonnettes with sculptured capitals. Dropped sill sedilia. Piscina, with C13 pointed arch with recess above. Coffin lid in chancel floor to south. C14 wall paintings, north nave wall illustrating the Three Quick and the Three Dead, St.Christopher and eight panels depicting the Seven Works of Mercy and the Resurrection. C17 octagonal pulpit with lecturn.

Listing NGR: TG4272905467


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05534/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].