CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304919 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 16:59:42.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- Letheringsett with Glandford
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 04392 41413
TG 04 SW LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD
2/80 Church of St. Martin
Parish church, medieval, in ruins by 1730, chancel rebuilt 1875, nave and aisles 1899-1906 by Hicks and Charlewood at expense of Sir Alfred Jodrell of Bayfield Hall (qv 2/75). Galletted whole flint with stone dressings, lead roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, north porch, south transept and south vestry; 3-stage embattled tower with parapet of knapped flint, gargoyle and clock face to north, 2-light west window with renewed tracery, cusp headed light under a square hood mould, 2-light bell openings with voussoirs of alternate brick and knapped flint. Gabled north porch: flushwork with trefoil headed panels and quatrefoils; crocketted finial and niche with statue of St. Martin and the beggar to gable; moulded basket headed porch arch with side shafts, shields to left and right inscribed xpi and ihs, trefoil headed lights to returns with glass by E. Heaseman showing angels bearing scrolls inscribed "The Lord shall preserve thy coming out ...." to the left and ".... and thy coming in" to the right. Door with wrought iron foliage straps copied from west door of church of St. Margaret Cley-next-the-Sea, (qv 9/18). North aisle and chapel under one roof articulated by buttress; two 3-light windows each with alternate voussoirs of brick and knapped flint: north chapel and chancel each with 3-light east window, one single trefoil headed light to north and south chancel, diagonal buttresses; crosses to gables of chancel and nave. South facade: lean-to south transept to chancel with 2-light windows to south and west, 3-light window to nave as north aisle, gable parapet to south vestry. Interior: C15 2-bay arcade to north with octagonal piers and double chamfered arches, chancel arch with plain jambs and chamfered arch, chamfered inner arches to arches from chancel to north chapel and south transept (now organ bay). Very fine wood carving c.1900 in C15 style throughout by Frank McGinnity and Walter Thompson; double framed arch braced chancel roof having carved rafters with elaborate bosses and frieze, stone angel corbels with flying wooden angels above; hammerbeam roof to nave with flying angels at hammers, alternate hammers with angel wall posts; rood screen with narrow loft having access from stair with 4-centred arch between north chapel and chancel arch, Decorated style tracery to screen and screen panels, suspended rood above; choir stalls with Decorated tracery, linenfold panelling, stall canopies, poppyheads; chancel panelling with traceried panels, carved frieze rail; stone sedilia with ogee arch having rose cusps and diaper work; panelled dado to nave with frieze of acorns and leaves; wooden pulpit on stone base with traceried panels and canopied evangelists at angles; screen to tower with crocketted panel tracery, doorway tracery with vines to spandrels. White marble octagonal Cl5 style seven sacrament font copied from Walsoken, Norfolk; crocketted wooden font cover rising to a dove, fleurs de lys around rim. North chapel: roof of square traceried panels; screen to chancel as tower screen; painted saints to altar panels; memorial to Adela Monckton Jodrell d.1896, of white marble angel carrying a wreath and standing on a cloud, signed by P. Bazzanti of Florence. Organ bay with wooden lierne vaulting and bosses. North aisle: arch braced roof with bosses, Decorated style tracery to spandrels; bench end of front pew with carved copy of "The shepherd's chief mourner" by E.M. Landseer. 6 and 12-light brass candelabra suspended from wrought iron hooks, said to come from Italy. Glass by C.E. Kempe and E. Heasman: east windows of chancel and north chapel by Kempe, that to north chapel showing the Annunciation and the ruined churches of St. Martin at Glandford and St. Margaret at Bayfield (qv 2/76); other windows by Heasman include St. George and St. Martin, west of north aisle, and the Virgin flanked by Justice and Peace in north chapel. Alabaster tablet in vestry records the rebuilding of the church and the names of all the crafts- men involved. C.L.S. Linnell: St. Martin's Church, Glandford, 1956.
Listing NGR: TG0439241413
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Linnell, CLS , St Martins Church Glandford, (1956)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.