Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1304942
Date first listed: 21-Oct-1955
Date of most recent amendment: 24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address: BACK EDGE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1304942 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 01:54:13.
Statutory Address: BACK EDGE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Stroud (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SO 85351 09974
SO 80 NE
5/58 Back Edge
(formerly listed as 'House
21.10.55 next east of Back Edge
Large detached house. Mid C17. Coursed and squared limestone, stone slate
roof. A principal cross-gabled block to the east with lower wing to west. Two
storeys, attic, basement. Entrance front is 1 + 3 windows; gabled left end has
4-light with king-mullion at ground and first floors, 2-light with hoodmould to
gable; then in right half 2 and 3-light at ground floor, two 2-light and a
3-light at first floor. Off-centre left a C20 door under peaked head.
Continuous moulded string over ground floor windows, and to gable. Return,
left, has twin gables. Here is plinth with offset at basement, then 2 and
3-light; a 12-pane sash in moulded surround, and 4-light with king mullion; at
first floor 4:2:4-light, and in gables, 2-light with hood and vertical oculus.
Gable return left is as east front, but 4-light has had door inserted, and there
is no plinth. All windows in these fronts ovolo-mould stone mullioned case-
ments. South front has hipped wing set in corner of L to left. West front has
2-light casements, mainly recessed chamfer mullions, but are in ovolo mould with
trefoil heads. Inset low wing has door and a 2-light wood casement. North and
south gables, carry paired stacks to offset and skirt with joined cappings;
flues to north have been rebuilt. Interior: considerably reconstructed early
1950s, but retains stair with good C17 balustrade to square newel and 1650
finial; flat arched moulded fire surround ground floor, south; 2 encased beams;
north room fine stone surround fireplace with date 1745 WM (William Mills); wide
chamfered timber bressummer to kitchen fireplace. Main bedroom has deep stone
lintel and overmantel to fire; flat diamond stops, pulvinated frieze. Many
early door frames and one early door. 4 grand Cotswold house which has been
allowed to deteriorate during the time of World War II.
Listing NGR: SO8535109974
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 133233
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing