Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305053.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2021 at 13:11:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 37943 24938



5/64 Stalham Hall 16.4.55

G.V. II*

House. Circa 1670, restored 1935-36. Built for Robert Puckle of Norwich (1625-75). Brick, partly rendered and with pantile roofs. Artisan Mannerist style. South front of 2 storeys and attics in 5 bays. Central 2 storey porch. Each bay of facade in 2 orders pilasters separated by deeply moulded continuous string course. Pilasters are paired, those to ground floor on moulded bases and with block capitals. Upper pilasters on wide moulded waisted bases with elliptical indents and block capitals beneath deeply moulded parapet string course. Windows are rustic copy-book Venetian casements with arched central light and transomed side lights. Some have been restored. Metal casements with catches, hinges and leaded glazing all c.l670. Porch entered through segmental-headed doorway with moulded imposts. Above string course a wall sundial dated 1624. First floor window is 2-light cross casement. Original plank and muntin door with moulded timber case within splayed rendered brick surround. Above porch is a shouldered brick gable rebuilt 1935-36 containing French window opening onto flat porch roof. This window also 1935-36. Gabled roof with 2 gabled dormers with casements. Gable walls enriched with chequered burnt headers. Internal gable end stacks. Gabled cross wing extends north, flush with east gable wall of main block. 2 storeys and dormer attic. 3 timber 2-light cross casements to ground floor and 4 to first floor in altered openings, all with leaded lights. One flat roofed dormer and ridge stack left of centre. North gable wall partly rebuilt C20. West side of this cross wing rather altered but retains 2 ovolo mullioned windows to right, one of 2 lights, the other of 3. At first floor 16 pigeon (or dove) nesting boxes in 2 rows of 8. Rear of main range dominated by large full height step gabled staircase tower of square section. 2 C17 casements illuminate stairs. To right and left 2 storey flat-topped crenellated additions of 1935-36. Interior. Spine beam in cross wing with sunk quadrant mouldings. Brick cellars with circular well. Dining room with small framed panelling using masons' mitre. Overmantel with fielded panels and Ionic pilasters. Bridging beam and cornice are pargetted with leaf trail and vines. Lounge has early C18 large frame panelling and overmantel and C20 plastered ceiling imitating C18 designs. All doors original within moulded shouldered architraves. Open well staircase rises to attic. Closed string with bulbous turned balusters supporting moulded handrail between square newel posts, the newels with ball finials. Dog gate of 2 tiers turned balusters. Roof of tie beams, 2 tier butt purlins and collars. Roof structure of cross wing renewed.

Listing NGR: TG3794324938


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].