CALEDONIA MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305066

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: CALEDONIA, STATION ROAD

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CALEDONIA
MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 00:13:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CALEDONIA, STATION ROAD

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Churchdown

National Grid Reference: SO 88405 19898

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHDOWN STATION ROAD SO 8819/8919 (east side) 12/26 Manor House and Caledonia 29.10.86 II* Two attached houses in one ownership. C16, altered and extended late C17 or C18, C19. Timber-framing, covered render or tile hanging, painted brickwork, tiled roof, slate to single-storey front part. Eight-window range, one room deep, with overlapping wing behind projecting 2 bays on left, all 2½ storeys: single- storey wing in angle at front, and at rear. Facing road: right return tile hung, 6-pane sash ground floor, 12-pane first, 2-light casement to attic, plain barge boards. Main front, rendered; three 4-pane sashes on right, 5-panel door, up one stone step, rectangular light over, projecting hood on shaped brackets: 3 similar windows to left; half-glazed door, 2 flush panels below, rectangular light over, C18 canopy with dentil cornice on brackets over. Above, 8 windows as ground floor. Tiled roof, banded with alternate strips of plain and fish-scale tiles. External brick chimney against left return: and 2 to rear. To left, single- storey wing continues line of front, 4-pane sash with narrow similar each side; slated hipped roof over. Behind taller painted brick wing, with two 2-light casements to first floor, cambered brick arches over. Two hipped dormers with leaded 2-light casements; central brick chimney on ridge. Rear of left end paired French doors and normal sash ground floor, 3 normal sash windows first floor, 3 hipped dormers as front above. Interior of Manor House, 8-window range; appears originally to have been cross passage and 3 rooms, one being on right of passage. Open-well stairs, turned balusters, moulded handrail, closed string, original, but with some replacements. Room to right of entrance raised C17 panelling, to left painted fielded panelling and shutters, spine beam, blocked fireplace. First floor timber- framing exposed internally in gables; two C16 stone fireplaces in back wall; collar trusses to roof. Interior of Caledonia not inspected. House much altered in late C19: it was previously called the Great House, has never been a manor house. Said that Sir Walter Raleigh stayed in it. (W.T. Swift, History of Churchdown, 1905)

Listing NGR: SO8840519898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 126567

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Swift, WT, History of Churchdown, (1905)

End of official listing