Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305148.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2021 at 21:24:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Tewkesbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 88238 19101


CHURCHDOWN CHURCHDOWN HILL SO 8819/8919 12/14 Church of St Bartholomew 10.1.55 GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C15 or C16, 1601 tower, C17, restored mid C19, 1880's by Ewan Christian. Stone approaching ashlar to tower and south chancel, otherwise coursed, squared stone; stone slate roof. Nave, western tower, south aisle, north porch, chancel. South facade: tower, plinth, octagonal turret on right, 2 slits, string course, slit, 2-light louvred window, string course, crenellated parapet with corner finials. Gable of south aisle on right, 3-light window, rounded trefoil heads, with almost 3-centred arch over: plain stone chute for valley gutter. South side, south aisle: angled corner buttresses, plinth, with eight C17 and C18 headstones set against it on left. Above, 2-light Perpendicular window; double-boarded door in moulded arch, buttress; to right sides and ends of 2 chest tombs built into wall, John and Edward Cummins, died 1706 and 1714: leaf and scroll carving, carved figures in half relief with momenti mori. Above, 3-light window with trefoil heads under transom just above springing of main arch, 2-light tracery above. Parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Right return plain, some brick repairs, late C20 monument. Plinth to south chancel wall, 3-light window, flat head, double cusping to top of lights: 1880 on rainwater head. Parapet gable, stone cross on cross-gablet apex. Plinth to east wall, 3-light Perpendicular window over. North wall, plain to chancel, with plinth. Parapet gable to nave, cross on cross-gablet apex: square-set corner buttress. Plinth; with blue bricks under: 3- light Perpendicular window. Gabled, 2-storey north porch, rising above nave, splayed infill to angles each side. Two slits on left return, with corbelled base to probably former chimney. Arched doorway in gable, moulded surround, wrought-iron gates: inside boarded door in moulded surround, ribbed quadripartite vault on corner colonnettes, moulded capitals, scalloped bases. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex with cross over. To right, nave set back, 3 reset C12 stones with chevron carving; diamond-shaped monument: square-set buttress. Tower, plinth, string course, then as south side. West face as north, but with 4-light king-mullion window in lower stage, 4-centred arch. Interior: south aisle, lower part of walls rendered. Segmental arch to door of reset chevron-moulded voussoirs. Four bay nave arcade, circular columns, moulded capitals and bases, plastered ceiling on line of braces to collar-rafter roof, 4 tie beams, 2 with crown or king posts. Nave stone paved, walls plastered, moulded oversailing eaves course above aisle arcade; wide, C19 chancel arch, plain capitals; wide, semi-circular arch to tower, datestone adjoining on north. Door from single board to stair to porch, in steeply-arched, moulded surround. Stoup by north door, window to porch room over. Cambered, plastered ceiling, with 5 king-post trusses. Minton-tile floor to east end chancel: piscina with cinquefoil head under pointed arch, sunk spandrels, moved from south aisle. Half a shallow stone bowl built into north wall. Collar rafter roof with straight braces, 1880's. Octagonal pulpit and sounding board, 1631: corner colonnettes and panelled and moulded sides, reading ledge on scrolled brackets. Panelled back with strapwork, arched top, downturned strapwork edge to sounding board with central pendant under. Octagonal, lead-lined font, swept stem with blind, trefoil-headed arches; foliated ogee arches to sides of bowl. A few C17 pews survive, with more reused ends. C17, C18 wall monuments in tower base, three C19 in south aisle, 1743 marble wall monument to Sir Robert Austen in chancel, gadrooning, fluted Doric pilasters, segmental top with coat of arms over. Gallery removed 1854. (W.T. Swift, History of Churchdown, 1905; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8823619106


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Swift, WT, History of Churchdown, (1905)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00440/18
Rights: © Mr Keith Cooper. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].