Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305170.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Sep-2021 at 20:23:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 86032 09372



6/180 Church of the Holy Trinity

G.V. II*

Parish church, C15 tower, remainder of fabric 1858. 1858 work by T H Wyatt. Tower of greensand ashlar, remainder of chequered flint and squared greensand blocks. Tiled, gable-ended roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle, south Lady chapel, south porch. West tower: 3 stages with plinth and embattled parapet all separated by weathered strings; diagonal buttresses, octagonal north vice turret; parapet string gargoyles; corner crocketted finials; pointed, 3-light, Perpendicular west window with returned label; chamfered octagonal loop to second stage; belfry stage has 2-light, pointed windows with quatrefoils and louvres; vice has external, pointed, chamfered doorway. The north wall of the nave has 3 reset, pointed, 3-light perpendicular tracery windows, probably C15, reset. That to the east has a different pattern of tracery. West wall of south aisle has a pointed, 3-light window with curvilinear tracery. The south wall of the south aisle has 2 and 3-light, square-headed windows with curvilinear tracery. The Lady chapel has a 2-centred door to the left, a central, 3-light, segmental-pointed window with curvilinear tracery and to the east a single trefoiled light. The east wall of the chapel has a graduated triplet of lancets. The chancel has a pointed, 3-light east window with Y tracery. The north wall of the chancel has 2 trefoiled lancets and a pointed door. The south porch is gabled with a 2-centred arch and inner door.

Internally there is a 4 bay, pointed nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders on round piers with moulded caps and carved respond corbels. Pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer continuous with the jambs and the inner springing from respond corbels. C15, pointed tower-arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into the responds. Aisle to chapel and chapel to chancel arches are pointed, of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds. Chancel has continuous string course. 4 bay nave roof with arch braced collar beam trusses with king-posts and cusped struts. Scissor-braced, collar beam chancel roof. C19 octagonal font. Octagonal oak pulpit with naturalistic foliage carving dated 1914. Monument to John Straight under tower dated 1670 with kneeling effigy in niche flanked by Tuscan columns supporting an entablature. Other early C19 monuments. Other features mainly C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. III, p.269/1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. 'The Buildings of England: Dorset', 1972, p.400. Chandler, J W. 'A Brief History of Holy Trinity Church Stourpaine', 1982.)

Listing NGR: ST8603209372


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset III Central, (1970), 269
Chandler, J W , A Brief History of Holy Trinity Church Stourpaine, (1982)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 400


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06666/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].