- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HARTPURY HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305312.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 07:17:45.
- Statutory Address:
- HARTPURY HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Forest of Dean (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SO 72 SE HARTPURY
8/36 Hartpury House
Large country house; early C19 and 1896 (rainwater heads on right return) latter by Sir Guy Dawber for William Gordon-Canning. Brick, Flemish bond C19, English bond 1896, ashlar plinth and dressings, slate roof. Large, irregular plan: 4-window, 2-storey and attic, 2 room deep main part, to left 3-storey wing, 5 windows long, single-storey wing at front, 2-storey wing at end. Entrance front: single-storey porch, rusticated ashlar; double, panelled door up 3 stone steps, low balustrade each side; semi-circular fanlight over, with cartouche above: Doric columns each side, projecting cornice above; stone parapet with decorative details flanking decorative iron railings in centre. Main front each side semi-circular headed windows, stone voussoirs, enlarged keystone, double sashes below fanlight. Plain string course; first floor ordinary sashes each side, rubbed brick arch; centre projects slightly, 4-pane wide sash, stone architrave, sweeping out at foot, shell above: consoles to projecting cornice. Pediment over with circular window. Hipped roof, flat-headed dormer each side, central stone chimneys with cornice: on left top to rooflight to stairs. On right facade set back slightly, one 4-pane wide, 6-pane high sash window ground floor, similar ordinary height above. To left single-storey wing projects, semi-octagonal bay window in centre, with 2 six-pane high sash windows each side. Stone dentil cornice, plain brick parapet and stone coping, decorative rainwater heads. Tall stone chimney rises from top of arch. Behind 5-window block rises further 2 storeys; 4-pane wide sashes, 1 replaced by 2 small mid C20 sashes. Hipped roof. Beyond, on left, pedimented gable of 2 storey wing, wooden dentil eaves, ground floor hidden by a walled yard, tripartite sash window first floor, circular opening with louvres in gable. Rear stone plinth, on left repeat of right- hand end of front: to right remains of early Cl9 house. Ground floor lead covered tent-roofed verandah, wrought-iron supports and tracery, behind tripartite sash window on left, normal centre and right, all 5 panes high. Three sash windows above, rubbed brick arches: stone cornice, centre raised and fluted. Hipped roof with 2 flat-headed dormers. To right 3-storey wing. 4 sash windows per floor with rubbed brick arches, door on left to ground floor. Beyond 3 storey canted bay with 4-pane wide sashes, 2 on ground floor, one each above. Stone cornice. Interior: porch, curved pendentives to ceiling, circle in centre with bayleaf moulding. Hall, fielded panelling, 6-panel doors, moulded leaf decoration to window arch, bolection-moulded stone fireplace surround (as other fireplaces), panelled decorative wooden overmantel, Ionic pilasters each side. Moulded plaster beams to ceiling. Dogleg stair, turned balusters, square, panelled newels, heavy moulded hand rail, moulding to soffit of stairs, heads to timber screen on landing above. On right, former library, window as hall, shelves over fielded-panelled doors, arches over as windows. Glazed arch with bust to corridor behind; pediment over panelled overmantel to fireplace: moulded leaf decoration to ceiling. Dado panelling to room behind hall; eared architraves to door surrounds, octagonal columns either side fireplace carry projecting cornice with swept head in centre. Drawing room in right-hand end, dado panelling, shutters to windows, panelled doors with original brass fittings, inglenook fireplace in bay, moulded plaster decoration over; segmental ceiling in 4 bays, with vine and other plants forming borders. Single-storey wing contains panelled ante-room, and former billiard room, now dining room, panelling to 1.5m, fretwork grilles over radiators, moulded leaf decoration to arch over bay window, panelled ceiling with dentil cornice. Early C19 house partly rebuilt and greatly enlarged in 1896: decorative forecourt wall (q.v.). (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970; notes at house.)
Listing NGR: SO7873722971
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing