- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- VENN HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305736 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 22:38:41.
- Statutory Address:
- VENN HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 45200 76157
SX 47 NE
3/37 Venn House
House, now in multiple occupation. C17 origin, fireplace dated 1635, completely remodelled and enlarged c.1820 with mid-late C19 rear service wing and later C20 alterations. Snecked granite rubble with granite dressings, partly rendered and slate-hung, slate roof with ridge and gable stacks. Probably originally 3 room and through passage plan, completely remodelled c.1820 so that only hall with hall stack (at ridge to left) now remains; building extended probably by 1 bay to left 3 to right, front made symmetrical and central 3-storey porch tower added, forming single depth plan house with stair to rear left approached by corridor; later C19 rear service wing to right, extended in L-plan to form rear service courtyard. 2 storeys. 3:1:3 bays with central 3-storey porch tower, symmetrical front. Porch tower has double studded doors with panels of Gothic glazing, flat-roofed porch on 2 plain granite piers, first and second floors have 2-light casement with pointed arch, Y-tracery, octagonal glazing and relieving arch, moulded cornice and embattled parapet; similar blind window with raised granite mouldings in pattern of glazing bars at first and second floors left and right sides and blind oval with similar mouldings at second floor, conservatory with similar glazing attached right and left of tower with similar half-glazed door remaining to right. 2 bays to each side of porch broken forward, similar glazed door inside conservatories, large 2-light casement with octagonal glazing to outer side; above a smaller inner and larger outer gable, each with pointed-arched 2-light casement as on porch tower, raised coped verges and acorn finials; outer bay right and left have similar ground and first floor window, at first floor in gabled dormer with acorn finial. Set behind porch tower, a cupola with slate-hung lower section, with louvred wooden panels, cornice, lead ogee roof and weathervane; plinth to whole front elevation. Right return rendered, half-glazed door with triangular hood to right, 2-light C20 casement at first floor left. Left return has gable in mixed slatestone rubble, with line of roof raising. Rear has 2-storey C20 addition in angle to rear wing, slate-hung, and small single-storey addition to right, two 4-pane lights under eaves of main house; to left of rear wing, small early C19 Gothic stair tower with hipped roof, pointed arched tall stair light with similar glazing, small 4-pane light at upper level to right and Gothic glazed overlight remaining from former door. 2-storey rear service wing with hipped roof has at left side one 4-pane sash at ground floor and 2 at first floor, rear has 4-pane sash with cambered head at ground and first floor, 4-pane sash at first floor to right side; wing extended to right, outer side has 12-pane ground floor light and two 4-pane lights under eaves, small single light to right. Attached single-storey range of outbuildings to right forming L-plan. Inner side of rear wing has ground and first floor 4-pane sash, porch to right with plain door with overlight and 4-pane sash above; inner side of extended range has 12-pane light at ground floor left, blocked door and small single opening above, 2 C20 lights under eaves; lower range has door and C20 casement, further range has wooden store with 2 round-headed recesses, 3 further doors. Interior room to front left of porch formerly hall has fireplace, probably at former gable end or next to inner room, in granite, with roll-mouldings, flat head, raised half-circle on frieze with initials TPD 1635, segmental lower head carved wooden heraldic beasts to sides supporting panelling with applied mouldings and carved brackets; pilasters to blocked door to right, slate floors. Other features of early C19, including swept staircase in porch tower with turned balusters rising to first floor landing, second floor room in porch tower has marble fireplace with central flowers, panelled overmantel and walls, cupboard recess to rear with reeded pilasters and shaped pediment over. Rear dog leg stair of early C19 with wreathed handrail, turned knopped balusters, cornice and ceiling rose above stair well, cornice with bead and reel mouldings at ground floor in corridor, ground floor to side of stair well has plaster ceiling with beaded panels; panelled doors in moulded architraves. Rest of building not accessible.
Listing NGR: SX4520076157
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.