CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1305803
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:36:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
West Anstey
National Grid Reference:
SS 85214 27490

Details

WEST ANSTEY WEST ANSTEY SS 82 NE 2/52 Church of St Petrock - 20.2.67 GV II*

Parish Church. Probably C14 core to nave and chancel, remodelled in C15. West tower, mid C15, and late C15/early C16 north aisle. Re-roofed 1842. Major restoration of 1879 by William White. Unrendered stone rubble, tower roughly coursed. Slate roofs with clay ridge tiles and gable end. Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch. Exterior: west tower of 2 stages, with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, and north-east polygonal stair turret. Cusped-headed 2-light bell-openings to each face. Statue niche on south side. Perpendicular 3-light west window above pointed arched doorway with Pevsner 'B' type moulded surround. Nave, chancel and north aisle have entirely C19 Decorated style fenestration, of 3 and 4 lights to nave, 2 lights and single light to south side of chancel, 3 lights to east end of nave and north aisle, and 3 of 2 lights to north side of aisle. Gabled south porch with C19 shaped bargeboards and outer door of 2 leaves. Perpendicular style wagon roof with curved motifs along the crenellated wall plate and curved bosses at the intersections of the ribs. Hollow moulded surround to pointed arched inner doorway with original ledged plank door and old lock and iron handle. Interior: C19 roofs throughout. Crown-post to nave, arch-braced to nave. North aisle arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'A' type piers and standard leaf capitals. In the C19 an inner bay was added to the chancel. C14 ogee-headed piscina in south wall of chancel. Altar table and reredos 1879. Tiled floors, some late medieval tiles survive in the north aisle. C19 pulpit. 3 C16 benches with elaborately carved bench-ends survive to rear of nave. Tall wave moulded C15 tower arch. C12 font with lead lined circular bowl, with thick cable moulding round the base and palmette and dog-tooth patterning above. Unusual tower arch screen made up of the hollow-chamfered ceiling beam re-used as a headrail and its joists with run-out stops forming the muntins. Beam and joists are painted with chevron and patterned decorations. The timbers are said to have come from the chapel near Town Farm, West Anstey, demolished in C19. Fragments of medieval stained glass survive in the south chancel window, otherwise C19 coloured glass in all the windows.

Listing NGR: SS8521427490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97401
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15743/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].