CLARK'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306239
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
CLARK'S FARMHOUSE, CRABBS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLARK'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:13:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLARK'S FARMHOUSE, CRABBS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Kelvedon
National Grid Reference:
TL 84716 18087

Details

KELVEDON CRABB'S LANE TL 8418-1518 (north side)

9/153 Clark's Farmhouse

GV II

House. Early C17, altered in C18 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 5 bays facing SW, with 2 axial stacks. C18 dairy wing to rear near left end, and single-storey lean-to extension to left of it. Crosswing with near-central stack at right end, c.1919, and contemporary flat-roofed single-storey corridor extension along rear of main range. 2 storeys with original attic. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements, early C20 square bay attached to right side of porch, C20 French windows. First floor, 4 C20 casements. 2 C20 casements in hipped dormers, and one more in gable of crosswing. C20 half-glazed door in gabled porch. Jowled posts, heavy studding, chamfered binding and bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops, some with an additional notch; joists plastered to the soffits. Above first floor, chamfered straight tiebeams and bridging beams with lamb's tongue-plus-notch stops. Storey heights approx. 2.30 metres on ground floor, 2.40 metres on first floor. Original straight staircase with chamfered newel post with lamb's tongue stops, and serpentine flat balusters and moulded handrail on first-floor landing and up to attic. The right end of the main range is reported to have been damaged by fire in 1919, and the crosswing built soon afterwards. RCHM 54.

Listing NGR: TL8471618087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
116467
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16667/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].