GRAY'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306273
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1952
Statutory Address:
GRAY'S FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAY'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 18:59:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAY'S FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Chelmsford (District Authority)
Parish:
Chignall
National Grid Reference:
TL 67749 10742

Details

1. CHIGNAL 5231 Gray's Farmhouse TL 61 SE 4/59 29.12.52.

II

2. Originally a C15-C16 moated hall house with cross wings on the east and west ends. It was altered in the C17 when the centre block was raised and divided into 2 storeys and again in the mid C18. Alterations-and renovations in 1952 destroyed the date tablets in the gables of the cross wings which had the initials WL and the date 1743. A timber framed and plastered building. 2 storeys and attics. The crosswings are jettied on the upper storey. 4 window range, C20 metal casekents with glazing bars. 2 C20 doors, with cornice hoods. Roof tiled, with 1 hipped dormer in the centre block. There are fragmentary remains of the moat. (RCHM 7).

Listing NGR: TL6774910742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112474
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/05687/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].