THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306416
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 14:29:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hethersett
National Grid Reference:
TG 15385 04460

Details

TG 10 SE HETHERSETT NORWICH ROAD (north-west side) 5/52 The Priory 26.11.59 (formerly listed under Main Road) II

House, C16 with additions and alterations dated 1607/8. Brick and flint, plain tiles. C16 cross wing to left of 2 storeys and attic; front range to right,of chimney bay and 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic; C18 range to rear. Principal facade to south-east: cross wing to left of uncoursed broken flint with brick dressings, crowstepped gable with datestone 1608; flush sashes with glazing bars to ground and first floor; gable with 2-light casement with glazing bars in former opening, small blocked opening above. Later range to right with left end chimney bay with stack; 2 storeyed porch to chimney bay with crowstepped gable and shaped brick kneelers, C17 brick to facade and upper returns; double sawtooth cornice, part of returns rebuilt C19 in Flemish bond. Porch with C19 arch, double leaved glazed door set in earlier doorframe with 4-centred arch having carved spandrels and shields inscribed M B and 1607. C B First floor of porch with flush sash with glazing bars and flat arch. 1st-3rd bays with varied brickwork of C17, C18 and C19 in English and Flemish bond, some coloured headers; ground floor of first bay with flush tripartite sash, second bay with sash with glazing bars of 4 x 4 panes; first floor of bays 1 and 2 with C20 renewed 4-light casements with transoms. Third bay windowless. Roof dormer to bay 1, 2-light attic window to right gable. Left return of cross wing partially rebuilt in brick, left gable coped, ground and first floor each with flush sash with glazing bars. C18 range to rear extending partly across cross wing: 3 bays, 2 storeys, hipped roof, pantiles, wood modillion cornice; reset C16 doorcase to bay 2 with treble wood moulding to frame and 4-centred arch with carved spandrels showing I P and defaced shield. Leaded light over doorway and reset corbel of lions head; casement windows either side. First floor with flush sashes and glazing bars to bays 1 and 2. Single storeyed service range to left. Right return with glazed addition to ground floor, flush sashes with glazing bars to first floor. Interior: cross wing with large lateral stack, previously external, now incorporated in C17 range; roof to cross wing with curved wind braces. No partitions to attic of C17 range except for central inserted stair. Late C19 stair to C18 rear range. Ground floor bay 2 of C17 range with C18 panelling having egg and dart mouldings from demolished house in Pitt Street, Norwich.

Listing NGR: TG1538504460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13553/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Ledgard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].