MIDDLE MACKHAM FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306601
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
MIDDLE MACKHAM FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIDDLE MACKHAM FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:31:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
MIDDLE MACKHAM FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemyock
National Grid Reference:
ST 15051 09872

Details

ST 11 SW HEMYOCK 10/40 Middle Mackham - Farmhouse - II Formerly known as Alexanderhayes. Detached house, formerly a farmhouse. Mid C17 (there is a reused datestone of 1642), possibly incorporating some late medieval roof timbers, and partially rebuilt in the 1940s after receiving bomb damage. Roughcast random rubble flint with some cob ; gable-end, corrugated-iron roof. Plan: only the lower end and passage survive of what was originally a 3 or 4-room, through-passage plan house, the lower end to the right of the passage. The higher end was completely rebuilt after the war. A smoke-blackened closed jointed cruck truss survives adjacent to the axial stack, with some blackened purlins, but the remainder of the roof, also of jointed cruck construction, appears to be of the 1642 build. There are 2 lower-end rooms both heated by 1 massive axial stone stack, with a wing standing forward of the extreme right-hand room. Winder stairs in a rear turret. A rebuilt higher-end stone end stack carries the re-used datestone : 'RP 1642'. A brick shaft (serving a boiler) occupies the classic hall stack position - which it probably replaces - backing on to the passage. 2 storeys. Exterior. Front: irregular 4-window range, the 1940s work much taller with 2 half dormers; all the fenestration is late C20. The doorway to the passage retains its ovolo-moulded lintel, the jambs are replaced. The inner face of the front wing with a 3-light window to each floor, C17, with deeply chamfered mullions and surround; a similar window survives on the right-hand elevation of the wing. Later loft access to front of wing. Rear: completely late-C20 fenestration. The first storey of the right-hand end of the main range has been encased in corrugated iron. Interior: Passage : higher end of stone, with one ovolo-moulded doorway to former hall; service end with another doorway with steeply cranked lintel and chamfered jambs. It is very likely that a plank and muntin screen survives beneath the present plyboard. First service-end room : 2 chamfered, unstopped and a boxed cross ceiling beam. The outer service room with chamfered cross ceiling beam with run-out stops. Both fireplaces are blocked; their combined depth is about 17'. Contemporary fielded panel and planked door. Newel stair, entered from ground floor by chamfered doorway with steeply cranked lintel; the solid timber steps survive intact; at the head of the stairs 2 doorways (similar to that just described) lead into the upper rooms, divided by the newel attached to the lower blade of the roof truss. First service-room chamber with fireplace with chamfered and stopped stone jambs, the chamfer carried through the timber lintel. Roof: 3 jointed cruck trusses, with Alcock type F2 apex carpentry; the diagonal ridge-piece and rafters survive in large part, but no longer carry the present roof.

Listing NGR: ST1505409875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95696
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].