MILL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1306813
Date first listed:
30-May-1986
Statutory Address:
MILL FARMHOUSE, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 04:15:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILL FARMHOUSE, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Maldon (District Authority)
Parish:
Purleigh
National Grid Reference:
TL 83357 02105

Details

PURLEIGH MILL LANE TL 80 SW (east side) 1/102 Mill Farmhouse GV II

House. Circa 1778, altered in early C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded with facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan facing SW, with internal stack at left end and external stack at right end. Early C19 extension to rear of right end, forming a catslide with the main roof, and later lean-to extension along the remainder of the rear elevation. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights in segmental brick arches, with some crown glass, and doorway converted to C20 casement. First floor, 2 similar sashes and one blocked over former door. Entrance in right return. In the rear elevation, on the upper storey, is one original 3-light window with wrought iron casement and rectangular leading. Chamfered axial beams with lamb's tongue stops. The court rolls of Le How manor record that on 23 March 1778 Roger Cook, shopkeeper, was admitted to this land as waste with liberty to erect a tenement and windmill thereon, and that by 30 October 1782 he had mortgaged it with the cottage, windmill, outhouses and buildings thereon built (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5). At that stage the brick facade would not have been present, and probably not the right stack either. (See item 1/100).

Listing NGR: TL8335702105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
117430
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00275/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Richard Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].