Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 06:28:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Southend-on-Sea (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 89398 85523


SOUTHCHURCH HALL CLOSE 1. 5219 SOUTHCHURCH Southchurch Hall TQ 88 NE 2/43 23.11.51. I 2. A C13 timber-framed and plastered moated manor house with a cross wing at the west end which is jettied on the upper storey. The house is very interesting because of its early date. A Tudor wing extends to the south at the west end and a modern wing at the east end. Both wings are tile hung. The house probably stands on the site of a Saxon hall and it is still enclosed by a moat and earthworks probably of Norman origin. It is recorded that the land was given to the monks of Canterbury in 823 by Leofstan, a Saxon thegn. Subsequently the tenants of the hall inherited the family name of "de Southchurch", a custom which survived until the death of Sir Peter de Southchurch in 1309. In the late C19 the hall was owned by Thomas Dowsett, first Mayor of Southend. It was presented to the town in 1925 and extensively restored in 1930. Some original doorways and windows were uncovered during the restorations. The windows are casements with lattice leaded lights. Roof tiled, with 4 hipped dormer windows on the north front. The west wing has a good Tudor external chimney stack with diagonal shafts and a moulded cap. The interior of the hall has a good late C13 or early C14 tie beam roof with curved braces and an octagonal crown post with moulded capital. It has a number of original features including a doorway with a good carved ogee arched doorhead. (RCHM 2).

Listing NGR: TQ8939885523


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01136/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].