This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CAMEO COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAMEO COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1306910

Location

CAMEO COTTAGE, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Purleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 117409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH CHAPEL LANE TL 80 SW (west side) 1/81 Cameo Cottage GV II

Cottage. 1778, extended in late C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing SE, with internal stack at left end. Late C19 2-storey extension to left, with C20 lean-to conservatory in front of it. C19 lean-to extension to rear. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements with rectangular leading. First floor, 2 similar casements in lean-to dormers. Gambrel roof. C20 door in lean-to at right rear corner. The left extension has a continuous line of C20 lights on the ground floor, and one C20 casement on the first floor. Chamfered axial beams, plain joists of vertical section. The court rolls of Le How Manor of 23 March 1778 record that James Bowles, husbandman, was admitted to 16 rods of How Plain with liberty to erect a cottage, and of 30 October 1782 that he had sold the land with a cottage thereon to John Kendal, carpenter (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5).

Listing NGR: TL8370701744

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 83707 01744

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 04:21:47.

End of official listing