CHURCH OF ST HYBALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1307159

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HYBALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HYBALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 10:54:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HYBALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Ashby De La Launde and Bloxholm

National Grid Reference: TF 05510 54754

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBY DE LA LAUNDE CHURCH LANE TF 05 SE AND BLOXHOLM 4/1 Church of St Hybald 1.2.67 - II* Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C19. Nave and chancel restored 1854 by Mr Huddleston. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with ashlar coped gables and kneelers and cross finials. Ashlar quoins. Western tower with spire, nave, north aisle and vestry, chancel, south porch and organ chamber. Plain unbuttressed west tower, has a deep chamfered plinth and a single lower opening on the west face, this opening has 2 light reticulated tracery window in a pointed arched chamfered surround with hood mould. The south face has an illegible plaque. The top stage has pairs of pointed arched bell openings, on each face, with roll moulded surrounds, plus some re-used pieces of medieval sculpture buried in the walling. Above a band with corner gargoyles and then battlements. Above again a tall octagonal spire with 4 small lucarnes. The 3 bay north aisle has buttresses with set offs and a corbelled eaves, with 2 light C19 pointed arched windows in deeply chamfered surrounds with hood moulds and different flowing tracery in each window. The north vestry has an ashlar and brick chimney stack, to the east it has a 2 light Caevarvon arched window with hood. The chancel east window is 3 light with reticulated tracery in a pointed chamfered surround with a hood mould, plus diagonal corner buttresses with set offs. The chancel south wall has a single cusped lancet in a flat headed chamfered surround. The south organ chamber has a single pointed arched doorway with plank door, and a single Caevarvon arched window to the south, flanked by buttresses. The nave south wall has 2, 2 light geometric tracery windows in pointed chamfered surrounds with a single buttress between. The south gabled porch has a pointed arched opening and stone benches. The double arched, pointed inner doorway has keeled shafts and 2 rows of dog- tooth in the arch plus a C19 door. Interior: The 3 bay north arcade has double chamfered arches and 2 piers each with 4 keeled shafts, single shaft responds, and moulded bases and capitals. The triple chamfered tower arch has moulded capitals and an impost band. The double chamfered chancel arch has moulded brattished capitals, and octagonal responds decorated with fleuron. The east chancel wall has a triple arched arcaded window surround with commandment boards in single lancets either side. C15 hexagonal, bowl and stem font with foliate panels. C18 wooden organ. C19 wooden pews, altar rail and reredos, plus C19 wooden roofs, that in the nave single hammer beam with carved angels. Small monument to Edward King and his 2 wives, with 3 kneeling figures, dated 1617 on the south side of the chancel. On the north side another C17 niches monument with 3 kneeling figures. In the nave 2 large C19 wall tablets to George King 1822 and to John Wm King 1875.

Listing NGR: TF0551054754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192539

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing