Moat House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1307404
Date first listed:
31-May-1974
Statutory Address:
Moat House, Longnor

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moat House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307404 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 23:38:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
Moat House, Longnor

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longnor
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49358 00249

Details

SJ 4800-4900 9/76

LONGNOR Moat House

31.05.74

II* House. Late C14 with c.1600 and C17 alterations. Timber-framed with plastered infill, partly rebuilt in rendered rubble with painted imitation framing; left-hand end wall rebuilt in dressed grey sandstone and right-hand end wall rebuilt in roughly dressed sandstone and rendered brick; plain tile roof. 1:1:2 framed bays; former open hall of two framed bays to left with narrower screens bay and service bay to left.

Framing: closely-spaced uprights with two rails. Two storeys and gable-lit attic. Stone ridge stack just off-centre to right-with rendered brick shaft and rendered external end stack to right. Three window front; two- and three- light mid to late C19 and C20 wooden and wooden-framed metal casements, ground floor to right with segmental head. C20 nail-studded boarded door off-centre to right with C19 gabled timber-framed porch including cusped angle braces and open sides with cast-iron lattice windows. Probable blocked former first floor window to left with two shaped-headed lights and probable blocked inserted first floor three-light window to right; evidence of a former probably C16 two storey porch in front of screens bay off-centre to left (see mortices in frame posts).

INTERIOR: lower end with large C14 joists, chamfered over former screens passage; c.1600 inserted floor in former two bay hall with chamfered beams; large c.1600 inserted stack with two dressed grey sandstone chamfered Tudor-arched fireplaces; inserted c.1600 moulded doorway in lower end; remains of C14 screen including cusped brace (mortices suggest that this formed one of a pair of open quatrefoil panels flanking central entrance to hall). Two first floor c.1600 chamfered stone fireplaces; old doors throughout. Fine C14 smoke-blackened roof: billet decorated frieze. Trusses have chamfered brackets with moulded capitals, the central hall truss with carved head corbels; moulded main posts and braces to central hall truss with moulded tie beam, queen struts, collar and cusped v-struts; chamfered arch-braced intermediate collar trusses with cusped v-struts. Sets of three chamfered butt purlins with chamfered cusped wind braces; spere truss with queen struts and v-struts. Pairs of purlins with wind braces over lower end.

The house was possibly that built for Edward de Acton, whose descendants occupied it from 1377-1610. It probably extended further at each end, possibly incorporating a cross wing, and formed the centre of a larger group of buildings. The house stands within a large, roughly rectangular moat with a fishpond to the east.

R.C.H.M. report (1974), including photographs, plans and sections.

Listing NGR: SJ4935800249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 108
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 174

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].