CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1307453
Date first listed:
07-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307453 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 17:39:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
Parish:
Market Bosworth
National Grid Reference:
SK4074703260

Details

MARKET BOSWORTH SK4003 CHURCH STREET (east side) 9/18 Church of St. Peter 7.11.66

GV II*

Parish church. Exterior largely Decorated (early C14) but some earlier internal features. Coursed and squared limestone with ashlar dressings. West tower and spire, nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. West tower of three stages with clasping buttresses and tall paired foiled bell chamber lights in deep embrasures. Embattled parapet with tiny angle pinnacles. Recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes. Embattled parapet to aisle and clerestory. Wide coped gabled porch to south door. Windows of aisle and clerestory are in the Decorated style of three lights with slightly trefoiled heads. Chancel windows are high and short. One is incorporated above the priest's door. Plain parapet with gargoyles to cornice. Wide C.15 east window of five lights. Stair turret in north east angle of nave and chancel. Inside, restored in the "scrape' tradition. C13 tower arch, steep and narrow and deeply moulded. Nave arcade of four bays to north and south: slender clustered cylindrical shafts and hollow and roll moulded arches: the central shaft continuing to articulate the clerestory. On the aisle side, this central shaft is of wood, forming part of the former roof structure. Angel corbelheads to C15 roof with shallow cambered ties. Wide chancel arch with slim cylindrical shafts and outer hollow chamfer. Paired lights in the east nave wall above it. In the south east angle of the north aisle is a projecting angled stair turret to former rood with ogee arched doorway. Openwork wood Victorian screen, richly wrought. Mosaic floor to chancel. 5-light east window is flanked by empty statue niches. Sedilia with fan vaulting. North and south windows are high and low but contained in full height in braziers. Monuments: in the north aisle a marble black and white sarcophagus wall tablet surmounted by a single column, commemorating Sir Wolstan Dixie d.1767. In the chancel in a north window recess a reclininq female figure is the wife of John Dixie d.1846. Stained glass: simple emblems in the clerestory. Gaudy narrative in the south aisle of 1904. Stained glass saints in the windows above the chancel arch. In the chancel east window undated glass by Kempe, darkly coloured, depicting the Annuniciation of the Birth of Christ in a landscape, with architectural niches and saints in towers above. Font is an octagonal basin with ornate recessed traceried panels where traces of paint linger on the shields: four filletted shafts support it, probably C14. Wrought iron font cover of the C19.

Listing NGR: SK4065503250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
188015
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05960/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].