THE RED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307650
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
THE RED HOUSE, 29, SHROPSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307650.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:10:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RED HOUSE, 29, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Market Drayton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 67481 34085

Details

SJ 6634-6734; 13/68

MARKET DRAYTON C.P., SHROPSHIRE STREET (south-east side), No. 29 (The Red House)

(formerly listed as The Red House)

07.05.52

GV

II

House, now divided into flats. Mid-C18 with additions of c.1900. Red brick with some painted sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. Three storeys. Chamfered brick quoins at angles, stone plinth, first-floor stone cill band, moulded stone cornice, parapet with stone coping, and central 3-bay triangular pediment with broken -back centre. Integral brick end stacks with moulded stone caps. Central brick stack behind ridge. 2:3:2 bays, with central break; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes, painted rusticated stone lintels with raised keystones, and painted stone cills. Central 6-panelled door with panelled reveals, moulded architrave and Ionic doorcase consisting of 3/4 fluted columns supporting entablature and triangular pediment, broken back at each end. Three stone steps with curved ends, and cast-iron boot scraper. Remains of former railed enclosures flanking entrance with low stone walls. Circa 1900 one-bay addition set back to left with plinth, chamfered cill bands to first and second floor, moulded stone cornice and coped parapet. Integral brick end stack to left. 16-pane glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and painted rusticated stone lintels with raised keystones. Rear (garden front): five bays. Central 4-panelled half-glazed door with porch consisting of thin cast-iron columns and hood with moulded cornice and panelled soffit.

INTERIOR: entrance hall and staircase hall with moulded cornice. Early C19 oak staircase with open string, cut brackets, fluted stick balusters (3 per tread), moulded ramped handrail and wreathed newel. Matching landing balustrade. Right-hand word-floor rear room: C18 ornament including enriched plaster frieze with alternating swags and amphorae, and cornice with acanthus enrichment. Fireplace with marble surround, fluted frieze with central panel consisting of oval panel depicting a scene and flanking urns and drops, and enriched cornice. Blocked former archway to front room. Right-hand ground-floor front room: corner fireplace. Moulded cornice. Early C19 attic staircase with open string, cut brackets, fluted stick balusters (2 per tread), moulded handrail, and wreathed newel. 6-panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves. Pair of elliptical- arched first-floor doorways with pilastered surrounds. Interior only partly inspected because of division into flats.

Listing NGR: SJ6748134085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260372
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01792/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Deakin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].