CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1307758
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307758 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 01:04:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bromyard and Winslow
National Grid Reference:
SO 65541 54842

Details

815/1/149

BROMYARD, CHURCH OF ST PETER

25-OCT-1951

I

Church dating from the late C12, C13 and C14 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations. MATERIALS: Sand-stone rubble with a slate roof. PLAN: Formerly cruciform it now comprises; nave, early C14 chancel, north and south aisles and central embattled tower with circular staircase at the north-east corner.

EXTERIOR: There are three Norman doorways, two of which are re-set. That to the north aisle has a later tympanum and three shafts to each side. That on the south side has an altered original tympanum. Above it is set a stone with shallow-relief carving showing St Peter which may be Anglo-Saxon. The earliest fenestration is the Geometrical tracery in the north window of the north transept of pre-1300, the rest are all of C14 date with intersecting or Y-tracery. The west window dates from 1937 when the west door was blocked and the east window dates from 1933. There are two C14 tomb recesses set in the outer walls of the south aisle and transept.

INTERIOR: The nave arcades have different capitals; that to the south has scalloped capitals while those to the north have leaf forms. The north would seem to be later and is dated to c.1210 [Pevsner]. The roof pitch was altered c.1805 over the nave and aisles and ceilings with large-scale coving were inserted. At the same time the pillars of both nave arcades were heightened. The chancel was restored and re-ordered in 1877 by Thomas Nicholson and the panelled ceiling was inserted at that time together with the choir stalls and pulpit, all in a Perpendicular style. The font is C12 and has two tiers of decoration. The communion table is C16 with bulbous legs. There is a series of C14 tomb recesses to the nave and South transept. The organ dates from 1839 and was initially housed in a western gallery but moved to its present position to the north of the choir in the late C19. It has a wooden, battlemented case with cusped openings which reveal the pipes. Summary of Importance: This church is a major survival of C12 fabric, including three doorways, two especially fine, one with possibly pre-Conquest carving. There is a C14 crossing tower with circular stair turret, window tracery, tomb recesses and a Norman font.

SO6554154844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150983
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 36

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09514/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].