TETTON HOUSE AND TERRACE TO GARDEN ON SOUTH FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1307958

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: TETTON HOUSE AND TERRACE TO GARDEN ON SOUTH FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of TETTON HOUSE AND TERRACE TO GARDEN ON SOUTH FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:19:50.

Location

Statutory Address: TETTON HOUSE AND TERRACE TO GARDEN ON SOUTH FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Kingston St. Mary

National Grid Reference: ST 20791 30456

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23SW KINGSTON ST MARY CP

1/105 Tetton House and terrace to garden on South front 25.2.55

GV II*

Country house. Circa 1790 enlarged and mainly rebuilt 1924-6 by H.S Goodhart-Rendel for H M Herbert. Rendered over rubble, stone roof behind shaped parapets, brick stack. Plan: entrance on East front through Georgian house enlarged around courtyard with colonnaded South front, West front with semicircular bays. Regency Classical style. West front, the most original 2 storeys with attic and semi-basement in left bay, outer bays with dentil moulded cornices and thermal windows flanking hansard roof with 6 semicirular headed dormer windows, first floor full height outer semicircular bays with parapet, swept up at centre, three 12-pane sash windows in outer bays, circular windows flanking lead roofed 3-light bay with half draped caryatids, ground floor 15-pane sash windows right bay, left 9-pane sash windows above semi-basement, centre lead roofed semicircular bay with paired pilasters and tripartite sash windows, sash window and small window left, French window right. South front of 9 bays with pedimented centre and single storey colonnade of fluted Doric columns, entrance on East front through pedimented porch, 6-panel raised and fielded door with side lights. Interior: austere manipulation of Palladian detailing in courtyard, dramatic ashiar fronted stair hall with deeply recessed soffits, 2 fine imported C18 marble fireplaces in South front rooms, now one rood, classical plasterwork details in library on West front. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2079130456

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270616

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing