CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308298

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:22:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans (District Authority)

Parish: Sandridge

National Grid Reference: TL 17124 10554

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 11 SE SANDRIDGE CHURCH END (north side) SANDRIDGE

6/351 Church of St Leonard.

19.10.53

GV II*

Parish church. Late C11 and late C12 origin. Chancel, late C14. Restored 1886-7, when W tower and W end were rebuilt. Knapped flint; some flint rubble and Roman brick. Stone dressings. Machine tile roof. Nave with aisle; aisless chancel. N and S gabled porches. W tower has a tall lower stage and small belfry stage. Broached spire. W elevation with 2-light traceried window to lower stage of tower and louvred lancet to belfry. Trefoiled lancets to aisles each side. The nave has 3 small round-headed clerestorey windows. S aisle has 2 2-light C15- style windows. The chancel has 2 cinquefoiled windows with chamfered frames and hood moulds. 3-light similar E window. The nave gable-end shows c.1887 Tudor style half timber with narrow trefoiled lancets. Interior 3-bay nave, the lower half original late C12 transitional Norman style. Large octagonal piers on stepped and chamfered bases. Scalloped capitals. Roll-moulded arches. W tower arch has mid C12 colonnettes with stiff-leaf capitals. C19 crown post nave roof. Chancel has original trussed rafter wagon roof. Single tie beam. Heavy wooden corbels. Carved stone corbels. Remarkable feature of interior is the chancel arch. Mostly late C14, it retains the late C11 Roman brick arch. Upper part of opening was originally filled in, but now has a traceried timber screen. Lower part has central pointed-arch door in flat-headed surround. Above is a 2- light traceried window; similar 3-light windows each side of door. On chancel side the openings have hollow-moulded frames ornamented with fleurons, the spandrels leaf-carved. Each side of door are posts with carved reclining figures, probably of donors. Font at W end of nave is late C11 or early C12. Stone drum with shallow carved intersecting arches. Chancel floor retains C14 tiles, some with glazed circular patterns. 2 good early C19 monuments, both to Martin family, comprising simple Greek style chests with obelisks. Hexagonal late C19 carved pulpit. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1712410554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 163895

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing