STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED WALLS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES TO SOUTH OF LOTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308301
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED WALLS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES TO SOUTH OF LOTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED WALLS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES TO SOUTH OF LOTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 08:46:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED WALLS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES TO SOUTH OF LOTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alberbury with Cardeston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35617 14696

Details

SJ 3514; 12/28

ALBERBURY WITH ALBERBURY, CARDESTON C.P., Stable block and attached walls approx. 9 metres to south of Loton Park

GV

II

Stable block and attached walls. Dated 1833 and 1835, probably by Thomas Jones of Chester. Red brick with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roof. U-plan; Tudor Gothic style. One storey and attic. Chamfered plinth, parapeted gables with chamfered stone coping, moulded kneelers and obelisk finials at feet and apexes; three brick ridge stacks consisting of pairs of chamfered square shafts with moulded tops. South-west (entrance) front: chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows with lozenge-pattern cast-iron casements and returned hoodmoulds; flanking gabled wings with 2-light attic windows and 3-light ground-floor windows; central gabled break with one-light window and stone shield dated 1835 in tympanum, and large hollow-moulded Tudor archway; right-hand return front: three windows; central gabled break with chamfered octagonal clock surround in tympanum, and smaller flanking gabled semi-dormers with 2-light mullioned windows. North-west range dated 1833. Section of forecourt wall adjoining stable block to south-east; red sandstone ashlar on coursed rubble base; L-plan; chamfered plinth, chamfered coping, ramped up at each end, and square gate pier to right with trefoil-headed panelled sides and gabled top. Short section of garden wall adjoining to north-east; c.1870;red brick with red sandstone ashlar dressings; L-plan; chamfered plinth and chamfered coping with globe finial at corner and end. Interior of stable block not inspected. Thomas Jones carried out a remodelling of and extensions to Loton Park (qv) in c.1830 and c.1838. The stable block forms one side of the forecourt to the house, opposite the former estate office (qv).

Listing NGR: SJ3561714696

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258933
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09684/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Leach. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].