DISUSED CHAPEL AT SX 669 889

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308455

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: DISUSED CHAPEL AT SX 669 889

Map

Ordnance survey map of DISUSED CHAPEL AT SX 669 889
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 02:18:14.

Location

Statutory Address: DISUSED CHAPEL AT SX 669 889

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Gidleigh

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 66935 88935

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 68 NE GIDLEIGH

3/169 Disused Chapel at SX 669 889 - GV II

Disused chapel, later cow byre. C13 or C14. The chapel was disused in 1332. Probably in the C16 or C17 the west end was demolished the building shortened and it was converted to a byre. However it has been completely unused for well over a century since it now contains mature oak trees. Built of large blocks of roughly-dressed granite tending to ashlar with massive quoins, west end rebuilt with granite stone rubble; no roof. Plan and description: small gable-ended building on an east-west axis. It contains a small rectangular window in the east end, another towards the east end of the north wall and a third is assumed opposite in the south wall but a doorway has since been knocked through here. The original entrance is thought to have been in the west end but this has been demolished and a new west wall built. The Rev. J Rawson argues convincingly that this small building is the remains of the chapel of La Wallen, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was desecrated in 1332 when the clerk Robert de Middlecotte committed a murder there. The alignment, construction and disposition of the windows certainly look like a small chapel and it is probably no accident that the nearby farmhouse is called Chapple.



Listing NGR: SX6693588935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94698

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing