Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308557.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 02:09:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Holland (District Authority)
The Moultons
National Grid Reference:
TF 30755 24035



9/105 Windmill (formerly listed 7.2.67 with buildings at 20.10.87 entrance to road)

G.V. I

Tower mill. c.1822, by Robert King, 1895, 1928. Brown brick. Corrugated iron shallow pointed roof of 1928, with finial, and dentillated brick eaves. 8 storeys plus basement, a total of 80 feet in height to the curb. 18 feet, 9 inches in diameter at ground level; 12 feet in diameter at curb. 3 round basement openings, one each to the south-east, south-west and north-west. To the north is a large drive wheel, part of steam engine gearing inserted after 1895 after the sails had been damaged by gales. West side with flanking flights of 8 stone steps on each side that lead up to doorway with cambered head and panelled door. 7 glazing bar casements, one above the other, above; that on the third floor inserted into blocked doorway that originally gave access to reefing stage. North and south sides each with 8 glazing bar casements, one above the other above. East side with a 2 storey granary attached masking the lower 3 storeys, the ground floor of early C19 and rendered, the upper floors of 1895 and in red brick. Both storeys with pivotal glazing bar casements. 5 glazing bar casements rise one above the other, above the roof of the granary. All the windows with cambered heads. Almost all the internal machinery survives intact. The basement contains the engine drive gearing of c.1895 which originally powered the subsidiary shaft rising up to the great spur wheel. The first floor contains an electrically powered Turner Inkoos Mill, a Kibbler and a Hunt's roller mill. The second floor contains storage bins and the third, originally the spent floor with bridge trees and now missing the governor. 2 pairs of French stones remain in place on the fourth floor, one inscribed: 'WJ & T Child.Maker. Hull. 1853'. Pair of grey stones lean against wall. Spur wheel with iron nuts and morticed wooden cogs, iron hub and rib, with wooden radiating spokes. Small iron nut engages the subsidiary drive shaft. Fifth and sixth floors with bins intact. Upper two floors are empty. Above, the wallower with chamfered and stopped wooden shaft with upper iron section, and an exceptional wooden clasp arm bevel wheel with wooden cogs. Endless chain sack hoist formerly driven from a friction rim on the underside of the wheel. Hexagonal wooden curb frame built into the brickwork, with iron track, inward facing tooth ring and centring wheels running below. The wind shaft no longer exists but the tail bearing housing remains. This is the tallest windmill in the country (not including the tallest complete windmill, including the cap, at Sutton in Norfolk). Source: Dolman, p.23. Buildings at entrance to road now demolished.

Listing NGR: TF3075524035


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dolman, P, Lincolnshire Windmills: a contemporary survey, (1986), 23


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15980/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].