CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1308643
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 10:54:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Marldon
National Grid Reference:
SX 86624 63576

Details

SX 8663 MARLDON

13/68 Church of St John the Baptist 9.2.61 GV I

Parish church. Circa 1400 west tower, remainder rebuilt circa 1450 with chapel of circa 1520. Chancel restored 1874. Dressed stone with freestone dressings. Slate and lead roofs. Nave and chancel in one with large C19 five-light Perpendicular east window. North and south aisles, south aisle extended to east in circa 1520 by John Gilbert to form the Compton Chapel. Embattled parapets and buttresses with set-offs rising to pinnacles with a batter, like obelisks. Rood stair turret on north side with battlements. Large four-light Perpendicu- lar traceried north and south windows appear to be all C19 replacements except for two large granite Perpendicular windows at east end of south aisle, and a smaller three-light Perpendicular window at the east end of south side of the south aisle (Compton Chapel). South doorway has quatrefoil spandrels. Two- storey porch also with battlements and finials and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. The porch is vaulted inside with moulded ribs and tiercerons and carved bosses with shields, foliage and rosettes. Tall unbuttressed west tower with slight batter, in three stages and with battlement and gargoyles and pinnacles over the corners only. Three-light bell openings with straight heads and labels. Polygonal stair turret on south side. C19 five-light west window with intersecting tracery and plain chamfered west doorway with hood mould. Interior: C15 five bay north and south arcades, the south arcade extended circa 1520 with two narrow bays to chancel chapel (Compton Chapel). Two-centred arcade arches on piers with four shafts with wavy moulding between, and leaf- frieze capitals. C19 boarded wagon roof. North and south aisles have flat roofs with moulded chamfered beams supported on stone corbels. Reset in south chancel chapel, probably from chancel, an earlier piscina with cusped ogee arch with quatrefoils in the spandrels and a shelf. Another larger piscina in the south aisle. In east bay of each arcade a canopied cenotaph to Otho Gilbert 1492 and his wife in the south one, and a small recumbent effigy in armour in the other. C15 octagonal font with panels containing quatrefoils and shields. Small Royal Arms of William IV under the tower. Fragments of the stone screen in room over the porch. Remainder of furnishings C19 and C20. Monuments: Wall monument to Ann Gilbert 1775. Some C17, C18 and C19 in incised tombstones. Reference: John Stabb, Some Old Devon Churches, Volume II, page 118 and 119. R F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Ipplepen, pp.193 to 211.

Listing NGR: SX8662663575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches of the Deanery of Ipplepen, (1903), 193-211
Stabb, J, Notes on some Old Devon Churches, (1911), 118 119

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11270/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].