Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1308741

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308741 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 12:25:11.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Dean Prior

National Grid Reference: SX 73021 63543


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/6 Church of St George



Parish church. Circa C13 or early C14 west tower, remainder C15 with C17 alterations and heavily restored in late C19 when south porch was built. Stone rubble with granite dressings, tower roughcast. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one. Long north and south aisles not full length. Three C15 perpendicular four-light east windows to chancel and aisles. Late C19 rudimentary perpendicular four-centred arch three-light north and south aisle windows. Windows at west ends of the aisles are C15/16. West tower in two stages, with slight batter, unbuttressed. Embattled parapet slightly corbelled out. Single two-light bell- openings. On south side single-light bell-openings on either side of polygonal stair turret which also has battlements and small loops and a moulded two-centred arch external doorway. Three-light perpendicular west window and moulded two- centred arch west doorway in rectangular frame converted into a window. Late C19 granite ashlar south porch with large diagonal buttresses and C19 inner doorway with round arched and nail studded panelled door. Interior: Plastered walls. Four bay north and south arcades with low monolithic granite octagonal piers, crude uncarved octagonal capitals and double-chamfered two-centred arches. Tall unmoulded round-headed tower and with imposts. Arch-braced nave and aisle roofs appear to be C19. Late C19 to early C20 furnishings including:- painted wooden reredos and wainscoting in chancel, carved choir stall ends and carved octagonal pulpit. C12 round font with frieze crosses saltire and another frieze with two long dragons. C17 conical wooden font cover. Monuments in north aisle Furze family C17 with convex oval tablet flanked by pilasters with angel capitals and broken pediment with urn. John Taylor 1803 with draped urn. In south aisle Sir Edward Giles of Dean Court qv 1637 and wife Mary 1642, wall monument with three kneeling figures with Corinthian columns and entablature, panel below bearing epitaph by Robert Herrick. Herrick was vicar here 1629-47 and 1662- 74. He is buried in an unmarked grave in the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SX7302563543


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 99259

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing