This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEAFORD METHODIST CHURCH, CHAPEL COTTAGE AND ADJOINING RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEAFORD METHODIST CHURCH, CHAPEL COTTAGE AND ADJOINING RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1308876

Location

BEAFORD METHODIST CHURCH, CHAPEL COTTAGE AND ADJOINING RAILINGS, EXETER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beaford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91668

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAFORD EXETER ROAD (north-east side), SS 5514 Beaford

21/50 Beaford Methodist Church, Chapel - Cottage and adjoining railings

GV II

Methodist chapel with adjoining manse and railings. 1838, enlarged and probably altered in 1869 with further minor internal alterations of the 1930s. Minor late C20 additions. Rendered, probably over stone rubble, lined as ashlar to front. Gable- ended Welsh-slate roofs with tiled ridge cresting. Lean-to roof over school room at rear. Brick end stack to left. Cast-iron railings on low rendered wall. Plan and development: Chapel to right with front entrance at right-hand end and one- room plan former manse to left with integral end stack and entrance to right. School room added to rear of chapel in 1869. Further 1869 additions probably include the gabled porch to the chapel and the railings adjoining the front. The porch to the manse and the minor addition of an outshut to the left-hand end were probably all added at some time in the C20. The chapel is in a Gothick style. Two-storey former manse. Exterior: Chapel and manse with flanking pilaster strips. Chapel has 2 Gothick small-paned (4 x 5 panes) windows with old glass, curved intersecting tracery and slate cills. Doorway to right has C19 door (probably c.1869) with 4 recessed moulded panels, and beaded wooden frame. Gabled porch with segmental-arched entrance and scalloped barge boards. Manse has sash to each floor with 3-panes to each leaf (probably replacements of c. 1869 - see horns), and slate cills. C19 boarded door to right with beaded frame. Probably C20 porch with boarded gable. Small Gothick window on right-hand gable end, lighting gallery, with small panes (4 x 5) and intersecting tracery. Lean-to addition at rear of chapel has boarded door in side wall. Cast-iron railings to front, on low wall with chamfered stone coping. Pair of cast-iron gates, one leading to each doorway, each flanked by cast-iron standards with moulded finials. Railings with superscribed lettering: "T. LAKE & CO. BARNSTAPLE". Walls linking to chapel at each end. Interior of chapel: Plastered walls with splayed jambs to windows. Two small-paned (4 x 5 panes) windows of 1838 in rear wall with curved intersecting tracery. Ceiling probably dating from the 1930s, replacing ceiling (probably of 1838) with central plaster rose. Ceiling higher over gallery. Fittings probably mostly dating from the 1869 internal remodelling. West gallery of 1838 supported on 2 wooden Tuscan columns with pilasters at each end, and front with beaded lower edge, raised and fielded panels divided by half columns, and moulded top rail. Two central panels pierced. Raked seating, and staircase to rear (probably of 1869) with closed string, rectangular sections stick balusters, and turned foot newel with finial. Reading desk at left-hand end (probably 1869) with 3 panels to front, centre broken forward, and steps up from each side, each with closed string, rectangular-section stick balusters, and square foot newel with chamfered corners. Panelled dado partly replaced by later matchboarded dado, probably of 1869. Mid C19 benches. Four- panelled mid C19 door into school room at rear. Most of the woodwork has C19 graining. The 1838 chapel was built at a cost of £220 16s (accounts). Historical information taken from paper cutting recording the one hundredth anniversary of the building of the chapel (1938).

Listing NGR: SS5546014920

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 55460 14920

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:28:45.

End of official listing