- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308893 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 22:03:04.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
SX 78 NW CHAGFORD
4/68 Stinhall 20.2.52
House, former farmhouse. Dated 1690 but apparently earlier core, modernised and enlarged circa 1984. Granite stone rubble with granite ashlar quoins; granite stacks, all with their original granite ashlar chimney shafts and one with moulded coping; thatch roof, slate to refurbished rear block. Plan and development: the main block faces north and it basically comprises the 1690 house. It has a 2-room plan with central through passage. The left (eastern) room was the kitchen/ service room with an end stack and winder stair rising alongside; the right (western) room was the hall/parlour and it has an axial stack backing onto the passage. The chamber above the latter has its own end stack. 2-storey dairy outshot to rear of kitchen. Originally there appears to have been a stair projecting to rear of the hall but present stair is part of circa 1984 refurbishment. At that time a range of former agricultural buildings projecting at right angles to rear were modernised and brought into domestic use. 2 storeys. Exterior: the 3-window front is based on a symmetrical idea. The central front passage doorway now contains a C20 door. Above is a granite hoodmould, without labels but surmounted by the datestone carved with intials RS and the date 1690. It is flanked by contemporary granite 3-light windows with chamfered mullions. Both have hoodmoulds and carved labels, 4-leaf florettes to the left window and fleur-de- lys to right. All 3 first floor windows are C20 casements with glazing bars. Roof is gable-ended. Interior: the features of the hall/parlour appear to date from the early rather than the late part of the C17. The crossbeam here is soffit-chamfered with step stops. The large granite fireplace has a plain soffit-moulded oak lintel and contains a side oven. The back of the stack (in the passage) is ashlar-built with a soffit chamfered cornice. The kitchen/service room features look more like they dated from 1690. Here the crossbeam is roughly-finished. The granite rubble fireplace has a replacement lintel and a side oven larger than that in the other room. A timber winder stair rises to right. The first floor shows only C19 and C20 joinery detail. The roof structure over the right room was replaced in C20. However the rest probably dates from 1690 and is carried by A-frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. Also, buried in a partition over the lower side of the passage, is a probably early C17 truss on a lower level. Only the apex shows in the roofspace. That there was once a lower roof is also suggest by the dressed quoins on the left (eastern) end wall which stop short of the present wall top. That the present roofline dates from 1690 is suggested by the ashlar chimney shafts which appear consistent with such a date. Possibly more features earlier than 1690 survive behind later plaster. Stinhall is an interesting farmhouse. The 1690 date appears to commemorate a major refurbishing of a house at least as old as the early C17. It is tempting to suggest that the house was late medieval with a 3-room-and-through-passage plan but that the inner room end (on the uphill western end) was demolished when the house ws rearranged in 1690. Furthermore Stiniel is an exceptionally picturesque Devon hamlet which also includes 2 other late medieval farmhouses; Higher Stiniel (q.v) and Stinhall Cottage (q.v). The hamlet has also attracted some historic interest since it is first recorded in 1224 as Stennenhalle which means hall of stone. Sources: Devon SMR: Dr N. Alcock. Stiniel, Chagford. Parts 1 and 2. Devon Life (March and April, 1974).
Listing NGR: SX7064785506
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Alcock, N W , 'Devon Life' in Stiniel Chagford Part 1, (1974)
Alcock, Dr N W , 'Devon Life' in Stiniel Chagford Part 2, (1974)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.