THE GRANITE LODGE ADJACENT A38 APPROX 1550 METRES NORTH-NORTH-WEST OF STOVER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1308943
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1955
Statutory Address:
THE GRANITE LODGE ADJACENT A38 APPROX 1550 METRES NORTH-NORTH-WEST OF STOVER HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GRANITE LODGE ADJACENT A38 APPROX 1550 METRES NORTH-NORTH-WEST OF STOVER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:45:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GRANITE LODGE ADJACENT A38 APPROX 1550 METRES NORTH-NORTH-WEST OF STOVER HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Teigngrace
National Grid Reference:
SX 83380 75670

Details

TEIGNGRACE STOVER PARK SW 87 NW

5/224 The Granite Lodge adjacent A38 - approx 1550 metres north-north- 23.8.55 west of Stover House

- II*

Disused gate lodges, linking screen with gates and flanking walls to former drive to Stover House, (q.v.). Probably c1830 possibly by Philip Hardwick for the eleventh duke of Somerset. Banded rusticated granite ashlar throughout, roofs probably still slate not visible, cast iron gates within lower half of Neo- classical Doric screen, Tetrasyle in antis, linking 2 symmetrical pedimented single storey pavilions. Curving flank walls of granite ashlar on outside step down in 3 stages at piers to frame the south - west front, the third stage reduced in length when A38 widened. Each pavilion square with moulded continuous base over plinth with clasping corner pilasters and screen entablature with triglyphs is carried around each pavilion. Single window front and rear with Egyptian style architrave and barred sash (see NMR photograph for pattern) now boarded up. Granite pavement behind gates with kerbs and steps up to flanking pavilion doors, now boarded up, one retaining original 6 flush panels door marked by beads. The right hand pavilion has flight of steps down to basement. Contemporary carriage and pass gates of round section bars topped with 6-sided spikes and pelmet cords, a 4 petal flower forms running midrail and dograil with intermediate bars is now mostly missing its spikes. Bell pulls left and right also gone. This building is a major feature of architectural quality in the garden. The terraces, summerhouse (q.v.) and landscaping were apparently superimposed on the building, which must have ceased serving as a stable at that time. There is a blocked entrance adjoining to the north (possibly to a further yard outside the loose boxes).

Listing NGR: SX8338075670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
84667
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15067/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Mackay-Marks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].