This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FYFIELD MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FYFIELD MILL

List entry Number: 1308964

Location

FYFIELD MILL, QUEEN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fyfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 50 NE FYFIELD QUEEN STREET 5/69 Fyfield Mill 29-JUN-1984 GV II

Water-powered corn mill, late C18, with late C19 machinery, restored in the later C20. Three storeys with a C20 slate-covered roof, weather-boarded on all elevations, timber frame on a red brick plinth of late C18 date. Single storey outshot over the turbine chamber to East and two storey annexe to South. Taking-in door, first floor West elevation. Late C19 small paned casements with pediments throughout.

INTERIOR Late C18 framing, chamfered bridging beams have stops and all principal timbers are pegged and jointed. Diagonal braces to the wall frames and curved storey posts. A six foot head of water powers the turbine, by J. Armfield of Ringwood, installed in 1890. Complete machinery including a wallower and spur wheel with wooden cogs. Machinery enclosed by wooden screening on ground floor. Two control wheels and worm gear open and close the turbine chamber gates. Two pairs of French burr stones, one in a wooden tun, on first floor. Working sack hoist through both floors. At the second floor, there are surviving grain bins and a wire machine.

HISTORY A mill has been on this site since the Saxon period and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The current mill was probably erected on the site of a previous mill in c. 1790 and was powered with a water wheel. In 1890, the waterwheel was removed and a turbine installed. It was deemed uneconomic to repair in 1947, and was restored from in the later C20. Internal machinery restored early C21.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE Fyfield mill possesses a substantial C18 timber frame, and is an example of a corn mill exhibiting the latest phase of milling technology which is largely complete and in full working order. It is said to be the only example of a working turbine mill in Essex.

Listing NGR: TL5716006613

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 57160 06613

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 10:23:36.

End of official listing