- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308992 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 19:50:30.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Braintree (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 89074 35570
TL 83 NE
2/54 (25/534) Brewsters
Pair of C16 houses comprising a 'Unit System', now joined. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. The larger house comprises a
main range of 3 bays aligned N-S and a 2-bay crosswing at the S end, with an
internal chimney stack at the junction, and an external chimney stack at the N
end. 2 rear wings, one with an end chimney stack, and a lean-to with a roof of
red clay pantiles. The smaller house is immediately to the NW of it, arranged
corner to corner, of 2 bays aligned E-W, with an internal chimney stack at the W
end and an external chimney stack at the E end. A rear extension of the larger
house now connects it to the smaller house, but they were built as separate
though adjacent dwellings to accommodate two households working the same land.
Crosswing of 2 storeys with attic, the remainder of one storey with attics. E
elevation, one 6-panel door in pedimented doorcase, early C19, one half-glazed
door, C19, 2 sash windows of 16 lights, early C19, one C20 casement, and 2 C16
windows each with one hollow-moulded mullion and C20 glazing. First floor, 2
similar sash windows, and 2 C20 casements in gabled dormers. Attic, one C20
casement. The N chimney stack has grouped diagonal shafts, rebuilt. The
plaster of this elevation is old, with a pricked design, a rare survival. The
larger house has chamfered beams and joists with lamb's tongue stops, twin
square-headed doorways into the N (service) bay of which one is now blocked,
some oak panelling of c.1620 in the middle room, and in the crosswing C18 pine
panelling. The upper floor has jowled posts, exposed studding with straight
braces trenched to the inside, original floor boards and one Tudor doorhead; the
roof is of clasped purlin construction, with some re-used smoke-blackened
rafters. This house was built c.1570 in 2 storeys from the outset. The smaller
house is medieval in type but probably not much earlier in date, with an
original lodged floor in the E bay, and a C17 inserted floor in the W bay, which
originally formed a one-bay hall. RCHM 10.
Listing NGR: TL8907435570
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.