- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- WREYLAND MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309018.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2021 at 17:05:03.
- Statutory Address:
- WREYLAND MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Teignbridge (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 78779 81201
9/203 Wreyland Manor - 23.8.55 GV II
House. C16 with C20 additions. Restored by Cecil Torr in early C20 (after 1912). Roughcast stone with thatched roof. C20 granite chimney stack designed in C16 manner on each gable. On ridge, off-centre to right, an old granite ashlar stack with C20 top matching the gable stacks. 3-room and through-passage plan with long lower end. 2-storeyed entrance-porch at front; rounded stair turret to rear of hall, leading out of through-passage. Added rear wing on left; added lean-to on right. 2 storeys. 6 window front; wood casements with leaded panes. Entrance porch is of exposed granite rubble with large quoins in ground storey. Chamfered granite outer doorway with approximately 2-centred head. To left of it an old carved date of 1680. Interior of porch has old stone seats at either side, but the side-walls above have C20 open timberwork. Cobbled floor with old granite kerb at front. House doorway has straight-headed chamfered wood frame with worn stops, chamfered wood lintel above with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Plank door with wrought iron strap hinges having fleurs-de-lis terminals; later applied wooden ribs. Door carries graffiti, including names and date of 1779. Upper storey of porch is timber-framed and jettied on all 3 sides; joist ends chamfered and rounded at front. In front wall a C20 wood ovolo-mullioned window of 3 lights with patterned leaded panes; wooden hood-mould above. Interior: through-passage has plank and muntin screen to left, with some studs reset. Studs and head beam have scratch mouldings; studs chamfered with rounded step-stops having 2 notches. To right is the granite ashlar back of the hall fireplace with chamfered plinth; cornice at top may have been hacked back. Doorway to hall has chamfered wood frame, the right jamb re-set. A winding stone staircase in turret at rear; 2-light wood window with flat splay mullion, restored. Lower room largely remodelled, but has chamfered upper floor beam with scroll-stops, wood mullioned windows, restored, at rear. Hall fireplace has hollow-moulded granite jambs, chamfered wood lintel, probably a later insertion, with step-stops that do not quite fit the opening. At rear an oven with granite-framed opening and shallow granite shelf; domed stone roof and side-walls of large pieces of granite. Upper floor beams chamfered, with mutilated stops. Wall at upper end is of C20 brick, but a little in front of it is a beam chamfered only on the hall side and with a closed truss above it in the second storey; it could just be the remains of an internal jetty. Second storey has few features, except that the rooms are open to the roof over the hall and lower end. The roof at upper end, beyond the brick wall, is C20. Trusses over hall are a primitive type of jointed cruck, with the plain foot of each principal rafter tenoned into a vertical wall post; over the lower end the foot of the principal rests on the wall-top, but has a vertical strut halved on to it. All the trusses have through purlins, some lightly trenched, some simply resting on the backs of the principals; there seems to have been no ridge piece. Collars are cambered with shaped ends halved to the principals, but all are probably restorations. The.closed truss already mentioned has a tie-beam, but with no evidence of struts or framework other than wattle and daub below it. Doorway to room over porch has chamfered wood frame with scroll-stops having 2 notches. Source: letter to Country Life, 31.7.1958.
Listing NGR: SX7878181200
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 31 July, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing