CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309038
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WADDINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 01:51:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WADDINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
South Kelsey
National Grid Reference:
TF 04168 98218

Details

TF 09 NW SOUTH KELSEY WADDINGHAM ROAD

4/57 Church of St. Mary 3.11.66 G.V. II

Parish Church; C13, C14, 1798, 1853 resoration by W. Butterfield; 1889 restoration by Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble, slate roof with lead dressing; western tower, nave, south porch, polygonal apse and vestry. The tall 3 stage ironstone rubble tower has a low plain chamfered plinth with 2 chamfered string courses, a weathered battlement and corner pinnacles. There are corner buttresses to the 1st stage only. On the south side is a small C13 trefoil headed light to 2nd stage. The C14 belfry openings are 2 light, cusped and reticulated with hood moulds. The west face has a 2 light C13 repaired window and a small light above as the south side. On the east face, above the belfry opening is a clock. The tall ashlar nave was built anew in 1795 after the merging of the 2 South Kelsey parishes of St. Nicholas and St. Mary. It has a tall plinth and cill string course. The fenestration on north and south faces is identical and consists of 4 two light C18 Gothic windows with later C19 tracery and a smaller 2 light window over the north door, all dating from the restoration of 1853. The apse is even taller than the nave and has 3 C19 lancets. The C19 south porch has a battlemented parapet. Interior: The nave is plastered and has late C18 wainscotting. The early C14 tower arch is triple chamfered with polygonal shafts and moulded responds. Over this is a Royal Coat of Arms to George IV and to either side are 2 large C19 paintings as at Normanby le Wold. The pews are C20 but one small bench at the east end of the nave is in oak and early C18 with panelled back and C17 carved panels to legs. The screen in front of the chancel is late C18. The sanctuary chair has a highly decorated back and is inscribed. "TH 1690". The font is a plain round bowl on an octagonal pillar and plinth. Monuments: on the north wall of the apse are 2 brasses, one of a knight with his feet on a lion, the other of a lady (headless) her feet on a dog. Two shields beneath and the scant remains of an inscribed surround remain. They date from the early 15th century and are to the Hansard family. In the north wall of the nave under an arched recess is a cross legged effigy of Sir Robert Hansard, d. 1313, with his feet on a lion and his hands in prayer. The chain mail bears-traces of the original red and yellow paint. Information from the Lincoln Archives office confirms that the rebuilding in 1798 in part used stone from the Church of St. Nicholas which was demolished at that time.

Listing NGR: TF0416898218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196537
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05657/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].